My first build

Status
Not open for further replies.

HjFUN

Baseband Member
I'm trying to build a system that can fulfill my gaming needs (which at the moment isn't that much) and in 5 years will be still usable and upgradable.
I would like to know how good this is and please if you have any suggestions please let me know.
Also I have a budget of about $550(w/o high end graphics card) for the tower and $170 for the monitor.

Motherboard
I really like it because it has decent built-in graphics
HDD
Processor
RAM
PSU
Case
OS

I want to eventually get a better video card but I'm befuddled in which one I should choose, the 512 is cheaper but the 1024 seems like it would be able to run games further into the future

The monitor is also a problem for me because I don't know if the chipset on the motherboard can support 1440x900 because if it doesn't I might have to buy a separate monitor for until I get a more robust card. But if it can the monitor I want is this.
link

I think the 1gb card is overkill - actually performs worse? atleast thats what i heard... - ill leave the rest to the more experienced

^ yes it does.. its the 256bit Interface capping it..

Now that build is decent, heres my suggestions...

Drop the 6000+ for the 5000+ Black Edition, $88, and its got an unlocked multiplier

- good choice on the 780g, best IGP out right now.. I own one, and I love it, I got mine from 500mhz core to 680mhz core.. now people will recommend Intel, but they don't have any good IGP boards, like G35 (pretty weak.. ) but if you can buy the video card now, then you'd be better off with Intel as they kind of have the performance crown

- You should consider moving to Vista

-Case is up to you..

- PSU... Logisys are bad! Check out our PSU guide, maybe find an Antec Earthwatts or something
Newegg.com - OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Check that RAM kit out.. better spec'ed and you got 4gb (since you saved a bit with the 5000+ BE instead of the 6000+)

- Maxtor Drives are a bit iffy, maybe check out a Seagate or WD alternative

EDIT: here are some better Video Cards:

Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100225L Radeon HD 3870 512MB 256-bit GDDR4 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
Newegg.com - Leadtek PX9600GT Extreme GeForce 9600 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
Newegg.com - EVGA 512-P3-N801-AR GeForce 8800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

+1 on the recommendation of the 780G. It is a great board. I haven't tested it with another card in "Hybrid Crossfire" yet, but it would be interesting.

If you can get the video card now I recommend changing the cpu to a Intel E7200 and getting a Biostar p43 motherboard.

Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 Wolfdale 2.53GHz 3MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors

Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TForce TP43D2A7 LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

The E7200 is faster than either of the AMD processors mentioned before and is also a better overclocker.

agreed, those parts are great (like I also said)

So I like all of these suggestions but I don't really want to do anything much different. I've looked around for a 5000+ and I found this
http://www.tigerdirect.com...CVRqCjCVRq
It seems like a good deal but the cpu comes with no fan so I'll have to buy one but then again I will be able to get a nicer one and this one seems to be good
Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

Now that I got thinking about it the 1gig video card does seem like overkill but I'm not planing on buying the video card for some time(Unless santa takes care of it) so I'll just wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom