No POST... Read the sticky

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalviNet

Baseband Member
OK, I just built my first system. I flip the switch on the PSU and the motherboard LED and sound card LEDs come on. When I hit the power switch, the CPU fan spins for a second, then stops. Same for all the other fans when I had them connected.

Anyone have any ideas?

were you overclocking or changed any voltage in your bios? usually when an overclock or overvolt fails it will try to restart using default settings. if it still doesn't boot up try resetting your cmos by pulling out your cmos battery on your motherboard and short the 2 pins + and - to clear the cmos. if it still doesn't work some of your hardware maybe faulty or there is not enough power from your psu.

Nope, this is brand new, everything's new. Haven't even been into BIOS yet, or even had a successful POST...

Cleared the CMOS, still having the problem. It sounds like I might be getting a beep code but the system cuts off before that. I'm hoping it's not a short...

Can you post specs please? Maybe try reseating your cpu, too, and make sure the sys fan and cpu fan are plugged into the correct places. I've definitely made that mistake a few times...

OK, update...

I unplugged the 4 pin power connector to the motherboard, and the fan spins just fine... At that point all that was connected was the board, CPU, one stick of RAM, and the graphics card...

...then I heard a pop noise and saw a tiny amount of smoke. I have no idea where it came from. I tried a different, PCI graphics card and cleared the CMOS again, the fans still spin on boot and stay spinning, but no beep code or sign from the graphics card. I'm really worried right now... Anyone else have any advice?

Can you post specs please? Maybe try reseating your cpu, too, and make sure the sys fan and cpu fan are plugged into the correct places. I've definitely made that mistake a few times...

Specs...

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 8400
Board: ASUS P5E Deluxe
RAM: G.SKILL 1066 2 x 2GB (only one stick in at the moment)
Video card: GTX 260 then FX5200

That's all that's connected right now... the CPU fan is a Zalman 9700LED.

Dude that just screams PSU, but theres bound to be unlucky ones in the batch. Just because it was a good brand one, doesn't mean you didn't get a crappy broken one that may have gotten damaged on the way there.

I'm still not so sure it's the PSU... The pop was on either the graphics card or, more likely, the board. All the fans spin, lights go on, etc. I don't get any beep codes. No matter which graphics card I use I still don't get any display... Are you sure it's the PSU? If you are I'll RMA that, otherwise I'll RMA the board and see if that fixes the problem...

Well usually only the PSU does that, but other parts could do that..

Try JumpStarting the PSU (check Google) for a "How To", so you don't have to risk your components, plus you can find if its the issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom