computer to handle certain programs

Status
Not open for further replies.

krptodr

Beta member
Hello everyone, this is my first post here..
I am posting because I have a client who needs 8 computers built, one of which is a server.

I believe all the computers need to handle the programs CAD and Photoshop CS3
I was wondering what i can build for them so that way Im not getting them far more than what they need to pay for.

I also need ideas on good toner printers.

Please help, and thank you

Just my experience, but with clients i would suggest going out and purchasing prebuilt models from dell/hp or someone else. The reason is you want the warranty that comes with those items. Especially if they are getting a server, you really should be purchasing these items from a manufacturer that offers a year or so warranty (parts). If you put some mut PC's together, while you will be saving them some money (not much after purchase of legit OS's) you run the chance of REALLY delaying their purchases if you have to replace a part or two because either you fried it OR it malfunctioned. After installing an OS (at this point Vista probably) you won't be saving your client much money at all when you have to go out and purchase 300+ dollar Vista CD's.

From a large vendor you can probably get a sweet deal as well, and could possibly get a printer (laser) thrown in there and could possiblty get some discounts on a few monitors (assuming they need those).

I would say any dual core processor above 2 Ghz with 2 gig ram would do fine for CS3 running Vista Home Premium. As for the server it really depends on what it needs to do, if it is just a file server then you won't need a very powerful machine at all.

i agree with the above, just make yourself the middleman. dont worry so much about getting comps with the most advanced graphics cards in them as these programs dont use them. larger monitors are best, because in cad and ps you want screen real estate. just try to upgrade to better cpus and ram. my work got me a dell precision T3400 and it eats up everything ive thrown at it... a few months ago, and they wanted around 1100-1300 a piece for them, with a good sized monitor too...

The only thing I disagree with Lex is the cost of Vista. You can get legitimate copies of Vista Business for $140 or Home Premium for $100-110. They are OEM copies, but completely legitimate and they are the exact same copies that Dell or HP would use.

The only way I would recommend building the PC's is if you are warrantying these yourself, and are prepared for any costs associated with repairs. Also, you would be responsible for any technical support related to Vista since you would be the OEM provider. That is another advantage of a Dell or HP in this situation. You get the warranty, repairs, and Tech Support taken care of.

thank you all very much for your info, I will check into HP or dell's. Now for the server. i was wondering if I should run vista or xp pro on it, because i do believe there will be no more than 8 people on the server at once. which is exactlly what the client os's allow

Ya I agree with surgeVel on this one. I'll take it a step further and say that you really should have a server OS w/ a server. This way you can properly allocate permissions to certain users, properly backup the system, files, etc.

Vista on the workstations and 08 server on the server. You should also purchase that through another party like HP, Dell, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom