Cross Fire Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
well you need to look at the amps your power supply puts out on the 12 rails and look and see what the video cards need... i ran into that problem with a crossfire setup we built at work... 500 watts is iffy but it may work as long as you have the right amps... if you try to make it work with low amps you will get blue screens, crappy performance, and many other things.

EXTREME Overclocking - Cooler Master Real Power 550W Power Supply Review - Page: 2 - Tweaking PC Hardware To The Max
According to that, +12V is split into 3 rails, with the 3rd one only supplying 6A
He'd have to put each card on the 1st and 2nd +12V rail. And that would be pushing the boundaries at peak load....

I find it quite annoying how the ATX specification tells manufacturers to use multiple +12V rails. It means you have to specifically balance load between them if you're approaching the limits of its output.

I'm planning on getting a single +12V rail PSU for when I upgrade to 4870's.

I find it quite annoying how the ATX specification tells manufacturers to use multiple +12V rails. It means you have to specifically balance load between them if you're approaching the limits of its output.

I'm planning on getting a single +12V rail PSU for when I upgrade to 4870's.

I agree. A single 12v rail is simply a better design

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom