sata+ide=kablammo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanoCastellin

Solid State Member
Ok, here's the thing. I got new internet today so I wanted a hdd to fill up. So I went to work and bought a WD 500gig sata 7200. (I work at a computer store (woot for wholesale prices! =DD))

So anyway, got home. Whacked it in. Turned on my compy 386. The BIOS and windows didn't pick it up.

So I researched a bit and found out I had to cap the sata drive to 150 mb/s with a jumper. So I did.

Now BIOS picks it up but windows still doesn't.

ARGGGG!

Can anyone help? I feel so noob, considering im a computer technician =S haha

Thanks guys.

Sean

You'll have to format it.

Start > right click 'My Computer' > go to 'Manage...' > on the right side pane go to 'Disk Management' > Find the drive listed in the bottom (will most likely have a black bar on top of it). Right click that, and pick Format (I think that's what it is anyway; if its not Format its New Partition).

You'll have to format it.

Start > right click 'My Computer' > go to 'Manage...' > on the right side pane go to 'Disk Management' > Find the drive listed in the bottom (will most likely have a black bar on top of it). Right click that, and pick Format (I think that's what it is anyway; if its not Format its New Partition).

Sorry, I should have mentioned the logical disk manager doesn't see it either. I already looked.

All of my disk utility programs (in DOS) see the drive. I've formatted it a few times using them but windows still won't see it.

Thanks

well it seems to be a windows issue, though you could try updating your BIOS. have you used a SATA drive in this computer before?

Yup, everything should be fine. This is the first time I've used a sata. Im thinking of switching it for a pata, but I was hoping that would be a last resort.

But oh well. Thanks for trying.

You will need a third party partioning tool, like partition magic (i think that is the name). Either that or thrown in a bootable install of windows and format the drive through that screen.

In order for the OS to recognize it the drive USUALLY will need some type of formatting down - this is not an OS issue, just either install a 3rd party tool OR boot the system with a windows disk and format through that.

You will need a third party partioning tool, like partition magic (i think that is the name). Either that or thrown in a bootable install of windows and format the drive through that screen.

In order for the OS to recognize it the drive USUALLY will need some type of formatting down - this is not an OS issue, just either install a 3rd party tool OR boot the system with a windows disk and format through that.

sorry but that's not true. he said he checked under disk management, a drive should show there if unpartitioned. the drive needs to be partitioned, formatted and assigned a drive letter (mounted) to be visible under "My Computer" but not to be visible in disk management.

Hello,

Have you checked your BIOS to make sure you turned ON the SATA Drive? I know my BIOS i have to manually go in and turn on my SATA Drives or they will not show up at all.

Cheers,
Mak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom