New computer set up

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohGrFreak

ID.10T
I wanted to know your opinion on my recent purchase. I paid exactly 2 grand for the system in my sig, along with XP home of course, built and burned in. I think I got a great deal on this, but haven't really shopped around that much, did I overpay? Also, this rig should run DOOM 3 at pretty high res with setting on high, right? The person at the shop wanted to sell me a terabyte harddrive for $700 and I didn't even know they existed for home PCs, is he pulling my leg?

Thanks for your time everyone,
Matthew

k...that card isn't an ultra right? should have gone with an ultra if you were making a gaming machiene but i think i'll still play very well on high settings...what brand are the specs on the ram? a terabyte hdd...well right now i don't think that there is any reason to buy that...unless you store a whole lot of big files...i think that that is a good deal for 2 grand though.

I asked the guy for a GT version of the 6800, he said he could bring the cost down by getting the Asus components as a bundle, he said something about the card being a mutimedia model or something, I really didn't catch it, he talks way to fast. The memory is rosewill brand and he said he did dual channel with two sticks of 512 running at 1 ghz.

EDIT: oh, and my bad, I know most of you know that the monitor could not possibly be in price of the total. I bought that seperately for $600. Games look awesome on the high res with the LCD, the refresh rate keeps everything nice and fast too.

yeah that's good, dual chanel is good...do you know the latency timings one them? multimedia means that it's good for gaming, video editing...they ussaly have a tv tunner or special futures instead of just the card and monitor hook up(if you got any of what i just said, lol).

oops didn't catch that edit...you got an lcd? crt's are better for gaming and cheaper, you could have gotten a good 21 inch for that price...unless you are saving space and don't like a big monitor.

Yeah, it has a TV tuner and S-video along with DVI and VGA. As for the monitor, it was an impulse buy, we went in to buy a 20" or bigger Viewsonic Flatscreen CRT and we walked past the LCDs and I remembered somewhere seeing a gaming LCD that refreshed at 16 miliseconds, so we bought it. The resolution is to die for.
Oh, and I don't know the latency yet, I should get a full system spec sheet from the guy, I'm even helping putting the thing together so he can teach me a bit about the hardware.

that is a good refresh rate for that lcd...wich is what it needs.

were you able to find the latency timings on the RAM?

ahhhh i see. well are you stolked, and are you confident in your buy? if yes to both the you picked what was right for you.

I am so exited, I visit the parts everyday (sad, I know), he's just waiting for the last few parts to come in then I get to go up there and we get to put the thing together. All the parts in the computer are either hand picked by me personnally, or picked out of his suggestions. So it was exactly what I want, even cheaper than I was going to spend too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom