Are gaming mouse and keyboard worth the extra cash?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think how it's funny that "hardcore" gamers must have a gaming keyboard or mouse. I used a crappy entry level dell keyboard and a entry level microsoft optical mouse for many many years and I guess I was a "hardcore" gamer. Or maybe I wasn't, cause it seems like to be a hardcore gamer you gotta spend ludicrous amounts of money on unneeded hardware.

Do this, use what you have now or what you can get really cheap ... if you are satisfied then what more do you want?

EDIT: If you actually care about gaming, spend your money on broadening your game library.

Well I agree, you need atleast an Optical Grade mouse, Ball mice are a pain in the butt to play FPS's with..

I think how it's funny that "hardcore" gamers must have a gaming keyboard or mouse.
a gaming mouse is a must have in the same way a good vs average framerate is.
You can certainly play the game at 20fps, but it's far smoother at 60. And if it doesn't lag, it means you have a better chance of getting kills.

Similarly, you can certainly play a game with a cheap mouse. But a good mouse is smoother and more accurate. That gives you a better chance of getting kills.

If you like Multiplayer FPS's don't use a Ball Mouse!! PLEASE DON'T!!

Its hard as **** playing COD4 with a Ball Mouse because its not very sensitive at all, plus the ball inside is really rough to move..

a gaming mouse is a must have in the same way a good vs average framerate is.
You can certainly play the game at 20fps, but it's far smoother at 60. And if it doesn't lag, it means you have a better chance of getting kills.

Similarly, you can certainly play a game with a cheap mouse. But a good mouse is smoother and more accurate. That gives you a better chance of getting kills.

You're just pretty much wrong. I don't know what else to tell you. An alright optical mouse is all that's necessary to get "a better chance of getting kills". I think skill, tactics, and experience are better than worrying about if you have a 60 dollar mouse or a 20 dollar mouse. This obviously only applies to shooters, but I also guess that "hardcore gamer" means that you play shooters also.

Can you give me an actual reason why?

I own a whole bunch of mice (even a couple of cheapo ones), and have experience with them all. I can tell you that a good mouse definitely does make a difference to accuracy and response.

I can tell you that I've been using a cheap optical mouse for years, and have found very little difference between it and higher end mice with more buttons. I have won tournaments at one point I considered myself to be one of the best CS:S players out there. I also won tournaments hosted by gamespy for various FPS games, including AVP2 all with using a ball mouse and cheap optical mouse.

Gaming mouses are a sham, and make lazy gamers think they are better. Cause we all know to be a better gamer and more respected gamer nowdays you have to spend oodles of money.

Tactics rules all. If you can get a headshot in a nanosecond great, but if you don't know where I am and I sneak up on you and finish you off.... all those headshots are meaningless.

I can tell you that I've been using a cheap optical mouse for years, and have found very little difference between it and higher end mice with more buttons.
so, because you found very little difference (note: very little difference still means there's a difference), that automatically applies to everybody else?
Tactics rules all. If you can get a headshot in a nanosecond great, but if you don't know where I am and I sneak up on you and finish you off.... all those headshots are meaningless.
How about this: two people are equally as good in tactics, and given the same mouse, are equally as accurate. Except one has a better mouse.
They both discover where each other are, and immediately react to shoot each other.
Chances are, the guy with a faster/more accurate mouse will have an advantage.

Or how about this: one guy tries to ambush another guy. The other guy has a fast, accurate mouse and fast reaction skills. He turns around and kills the guy ambushing him in a split second.

so, because you found very little difference (note: very little difference still means there's a difference), that automatically applies to everybody else?

Very little difference applies to the extra buttons. Some games warrant themselves to more than 3 available buttons on a mice, but again a keyboard still works more than fine. In general I find the extra buttons to be more of a nuisance though.

Also yes, if I can perform the same or better than someone with a gaming mouse when I'm using a crappy mouse there is no reason why their game skill should revolve around a 60 dollar mouse when it obviously isn't doing the trick they say it is doing.

Also the point comes down to this, since when does getting an extra kill or two actually make you more of a gamer or even appreciate the game more? I had just as much fun playing a game when I won it as opposed to getting in second or third place (I actually have more fun when I'm not winning). Getting a mouse just so you think you might have a better chance at getting a few more kills a day just seems like a joke to me.

I love both my MX518 and my Lachesis. I can't stand using a cheaper mouse now... They're both much more sensitive to movements.

Apok, I agree with you. A mouse can make the difference. Sure, if you have a cheaper mouse and you're good, you'll play good. But if you have a quality mouse, and you're good, you'll be better. You'll have to move your hand less to move the pointer on the screen in order to look around, and the more sensitive the mouse, the easier it is to move around/get potential kills.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom