Windows Vista Boot error

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

This would not be caused by SP1. At all. If he can not load from the disc by booting then there is something else wrong. A check disk should be done. Cause if he is trying to load right from the DVD to install fresh then the previous install would not affect it at all. Which means that there is something far worse wrong with the machine. Not just having SP1 installed.

Run Memtest86 and do a check disk.

Cheers,
Mak

I'm just going from what I'v read up on. Apparently it's becuase it cant load onto the ntfs filesystem, hence needing the reformat. I see what you're saying about booting from the disk though, that is slightly odd.

The error is caused by the SP1 update KB946084 also from what I have read. I have also checked at microsoft for a fix, but to no avail.

Cheers,

~ Tkey

Hello,

I can see what your saying as well. But i do not see how even a update could prevent a boot disc from loading. It stops after it loads the files and before it tries to even mount the NTFS File System. Which would leave me to believe that somethig more in depth is going on.

If anything....create a new partition and use GParted to format. Then try it. If that still doesnt work you will have to try a check disk to make sure that the current install does not have any bad spots or files.

All in all you might end up losing your current files. IF you want you can preserve them with a external drive and a Linux LiveCD.

But i would not pin this fully on SP1. After you reinstall please make sure to read the Vista SP1 information.

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 is not available for installation from Windows Update and is not offered by Automatic Updates

That tells you if your system is ready for SP1 and the steps you should take ot make it ready. If you do not meet those requirements do not force SP1 onto your system or you will cause more problems like this.

Cheers,
Mak

So you reckon I should run the Chkdisk thingy and then if that seems ok do what tkey said?

Yes, run chkdisk and memtest86 first. Then follow the infomation I recieved from the other site.

Cheers,

~ Tkey

meh, i know my problem is my mobo. I already exchanged my HDD, but that didnt fix my problem. It must be the On-Chip SATA controller or something. I want to send it in but my dad wont let me.

sry for invading this thread, btw.

EDIT:

exchange my mobo for a new one, covered by warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom