E8500 vs Q6600

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonKerz

In Runtime
We're looking at a video game angle here. Which processor would perform better in video games, and therefore, be the better option to purchase.

E8500 @ 4.2Ghz (on air) or Q6600 @ 3.6Ghz (on air)

the extra 600mhz arent going to make much if any difference. While the extra cores are going to help quite a bit with multithreaded games and having other programs running while you are gaming.

In most games, at least for now, the dual core is going to defeat the quad core 95% of the time.

Currently, only a few games are optimized for quad cores and eventually all games will be.

I personally would go with the Q6600 because then you won't have to buy a new processor quite so soon but if you are looking for the best performance now, get the E8500.

id say the q6600 is a better choice, he might get 5 fps better or somethin with the e8500 but it cost more and the q6600 will be better for everything else like photo editing video editing just havin more programs open at once. the q6600 is more future proof and its cheaper i would get it.

Do some research. Its been proven that anything past around 3ghz no matter how many cores doesnt make any difference in games. Unless you are playing on a tiny monitor that is cpu bound. If you can overclock a q6600 to 3.6 stable, its going to do more for you than a dual core solely because of the amount of other programs that ALWAYS run in the background. Open your task manager, look at how many processes are running, now divide that by 2, and divide it by 4. Which one allows your cpu to use more processing power for the game you are playing.

y? i suppose if your going to upgrade to a bloomfield or sumthin with a new build, otherwise why spend more on less?

meh... i don't honestly think i'll notice a difference in anything i do... everything i do nowadays... is almost nothing but photoshop and things as such...

games.. ha, i don't really play em...

i wanna take my super pi record back here... lol

my processes never exceed 36 anyway.. quadcore is pretty much a waste for me... and i'm sure running something like 4.5ghz for everyday use will handle everything just fine.. and won't be any different than running my quad at 3.7/3.8

considering the dual cores(45nm penryn based cores actually) are 5-10% more effiecient in most things they do.. and those most things i do.. are more than likely not multi-threaded for 4 cores anyway... i don't ever do any hardcore multi-tasking.. so i don't really care

but of course... i will be upgraded to a q9550/9650 when i feel like i need to do so :p

howdoyoulikethemapples.jpg

hazaaaa!!! :) i like my watercooling.. look at that vcore!! woot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom