Windows Vista Boot error

Status
Not open for further replies.

sailpog

Daemon Poster
Hi,
Got a problem when i tried to boot up my pc this morning, running Vista Home Premium x32.
Basically when I boot normally it gets past the little bar that goes across the screen then goes into a blue screen and says: Stop 0x0000C1F5 and loads of other stuff, nothing of importance.
So when i reboot i tried going into safe mode but when it gets to the point that it has to load crcdisk.sys it just stops booting.
Finally, i tried my Vista disk, it appears to boot from it and says "Loading files from disk..." then the bar fills and then i just get the same Blue screen as before.

I am lost as to what i can do!
Can any of you help?
Thanks a lot in advance.

I have done a little searching and found the following:

The problem is in fact caused by pcmcia.sys files! To get round this,
you need to delete or rename two files, but this can't be done from the
safe mode command prompt, due to permissions.

Instead, reboot from the install dvd and go to repair, then command
prompt. Locate and rename the following files...

Navigate to: c:\windows\system32\drivers\
Rename pcmcia.sys pcmcia.old
Navigate to: c:\windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\
Rename pcmcia.inf_539d553e pcmcia.inf_539d553eold

Clearly this infomation may be incorrect, however a number of other users are experiencing the same problem which appears to be HD related.

Could you post us up some more infomation on your system?

Cheers,

~ Tkey

Thats the problem, i cant even get into the repair thingy.
My HD is a Segate 500GB 32mb cache SATA 2.

Searched again with your stop code. Looks like other are saying 100% HD issue.

What does stop 0x0000C1F5 mean? | Infopirate.org

One guy has suggested a reformat, it there any way of you restoring your files onto another system if you remove the HD ?

Also

The problem is that Vista looks at $TxfLog when it boots to see if the hard drive is screwed. And apparently a bad SP1 update causes this file to become corrupted. And since the Vista dvd also looks at this file thats why we get the BSOD while trying to boot form it. What we need to do is boot from a linux live cd with ntfs read/write support(ntfs-3g)

Following the Instructions I found here (http://bsods.com)I was able to solve the problem without formating.

Cheers,

~ Tkey

Hmm if I re-formatted could I just have a new partition on the hd, cos ive still got about 200 gb free.
Although I dont know how I would start the windows install proccess because as I said before, If i try to boot from disc it says loading files... then the blue screen comes up again.

Before, its an OEM Vista Home Premium x32.Bought it pretty much the day Vista was released and its genuine .

That may be the problem then. Seams the problem is caused by the SP1 update on pre SP1 installations.

Some technical deatails.
The problem is caused by this offending update: KB946084
A file used by the Vista SP1 upgrade system.

Windows isn't booting correctly becuase the Common Log File System (Clfs.sys) driver does not fix the $TxfLog file when the file is corrupted.

I have also found this for you:

So, here's an overview of how I fixed my system. For part 1, you need a SystemRescueCD disc (and don't forget that Linux commands are case-sensitive):

1. Boot the SystemRescueCD disc, answering any localization questions as required, until you get to a command prompt.
2. Mount your hard drive at /mnt/windows using ntfs-3g, e.g. "ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /mnt/windows". You may have to look at /dev/hd* and /dev/sd* to figure out the correct device to mount. Also, if the NTFS file system is corrupted (which it probably is if you are reading this post) you may have to add the "-o force" flag to the mount, e.g. "ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /mnt/windows -o force".
3. Verify that you have the correct file system mounted by "ls /mnt/windows". You should see the content of "C:\"... if you don't, repeat (2) until you mount the correct device.
4. Navigate to the hidden folder: "cd /mnt/windows/\$Extend/RmMetadata". Note the backslash before the $; that is important as it keeps the command shell from interpreting the $ (it is really part of the file name).
5. Take a deep breath and recursively remove the $TxfLog file: "rm -rf \$TxfLog". Use "ls" to verify that it has been deleted.
6. "cd /", "umount /mnt/windows", and "init 6" to reboot, removing the CD when appropriate.

At this point, your system will no longer bluescreen, but it won't boot, either. To fix that, here's part 2, for which you'll need a Vista DVD:

7. Boot the Vista DVD and choose "Repair my computer".
8. When the system looks for Vista installations to repair, it probably won't find any. Don't panic; just click Next.
9. In the System Recovery Options list, choose Startup Repair. The system will process for a minute or two, then state that it needs to reboot to finish its repair. Allow it to reboot.
10. Remove the DVD at the appropriate time and allow the system to boot from the hard drive.
11. If the system complains that it was not shut down properly, choose "boot normally".

That's it. With any luck at all you should have a bootable system again.

The STOP 0x0000C1F5 bug is a nasty one, and I am confident that Microsoft will release a hotfix and/or Windows Update for it soon. In the meantime, if you are experiencing the problem, I hope this article helps to get you running again.

Thanks to Windows Vista and STOP: 0x0000C1F5 (Linux anyone?) | BSoDs

Cheers,

~ Tkey

So once I get all that rm -rf \$TxfLog stuff deleted my windows disc should work?
Also, should microsoft be obliged to offer me an updated disc?

Sounds like it, I would read the infomation on the site first ;)
Not that I am aware of, there is nothing wrong with the disk. It is simply failing to mount the filesystem becuase Clfs.sys is corrupt.
If you reformatted your whole system the installation would run good as new, however this is not ideal assuming you want to keep all your files in tact.

Any futher problems let us know.

Cheers,

~ Tkey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom