Build for my grandmother

Status
Not open for further replies.

chickfilafan

Baseband Member
My mom wants a computer for my grandmother. She was using a computer with windows 95 so as long as its faster than that... :) She will basically just be using it for the internet. We have keyboard and mouse and speakers. We thing her CRT monitor might be broken. The cheaper the better. Thanks.

Is there a price range you have in mind? An LCD monitor can cost you upwards of $150 (17" square or larger), if you need a new monitor. Also, if you need an operating system, that'll run you up another $100 or more. Let us know what sort of range you have, but it seems like the cheapest current technology would be sufficient for her, based on your description.

You can get linux for free. and even shipped to your home for free.

You would probably be off better if you just buy an old used computer.

that actually is a good idea. usually you can get an old dell demension 8400 for around 180-200 without a monitor. also just lurk around on craigslist.

My mom didn't give me a price range. How much would just an extremely basic build be? I think my mom might be able to get an OS from someone.

You can get super cheap AMD builds for like $200-$300, and for a monitor, you could always pickup another CRT for $50 or go with an LCD for $150+.

It might even be better looking at dell since they have pretty cheap builds that come with LCD's.

http://dellstore01.dell.com.au/public/cart/configurator.jsp?prd_id=650538&sr_no=1

Expensive for what it is, but it would be a lot less hassle. You could probably pick up even cheaper pre builts somewhere else.

and add any optical drive and a monitor that would fit the needs and you're good to go. also a psu is needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom