Ram latency readings

Status
Not open for further replies.
bew556 said:
How do I check this and is it bad if it is 2-5-3-3-6 instead of 2-2-3-3-6?

I am assuming u mean 2.5-3-3-6 over 2-3-3-6. No it is not bad at all. I have the fastest performing memory on the market to date, and because I have an AMD, it is 2.5 even though the memory is 2.

To check if it is 2.5 (on AMD), you will have to goto the Manufacturer's website. It isn't even listed on the package in most cases.

agex000 said:
There is memory out there with lanencies like 4-6-6-12. That's what I meant about no restrictions, as they are timings. The slower the memory's core, the higher timings it will have.

Well I personally have never seen such timings, and why GEiL would come up with such a wacky timing is odd....... Why raise the RAS to CAS Delay to nearly double there normal, cheapo module levels, and lower the Active to Precharge, to a level that is usually only seen on super expensive low latency modules:confused:

I'm new to RAM Timings and whatnot so I'm basically lost =/ but if the title of the RAM looks like this:

Kingston KVR400X64C3A/512 512MB DDR400 PC3200 CL3 DIMM 3-3-3

that 3-3-3 over there, is that the timings or what? I just purchased this RAM, but I know for my needs it'll be sufficient because I'm going from a 2400+ CPU with 266FSB with a stick of PC2700 (so thats technically underperforming) and then I'm getting the pc3200 ram, followed by next month another 512mb stick of pc3200 ram and the 3200+ CPU so I'll have 400FSB all around, so that should give me a nice performace boost to go from 256mb of technically pc2100 speed RAM to a gig of pc3200 =)

I just get lost reading about the timings of ram and all that. Anyone have a good resource page on learning more about ram timings and how they should be set etc....

yea i would sell my ram and get ones with better timmings but i just bought this set for 200$ not in the mood :-(

Nubius said:
I'm new to RAM Timings and whatnot so I'm basically lost =/ but if the title of the RAM looks like this:

Kingston KVR400X64C3A/512 512MB DDR400 PC3200 CL3 DIMM 3-3-3

that 3-3-3 over there, is that the timings or what? I just purchased this RAM, but I know for my needs it'll be sufficient because I'm going from a 2400+ CPU with 266FSB with a stick of PC2700 (so thats technically underperforming) and then I'm getting the pc3200 ram, followed by next month another 512mb stick of pc3200 ram and the 3200+ CPU so I'll have 400FSB all around, so that should give me a nice performace boost to go from 256mb of technically pc2100 speed RAM to a gig of pc3200 =)

I just get lost reading about the timings of ram and all that. Anyone have a good resource page on learning more about ram timings and how they should be set etc....

That RAM you got there is simply a budget module.... Not bad, not good:p But it will be very stable with a CAS 3 latency, and the other timings(3-3-3) are very nice and tight;)

Thanks merlin. Thats what I figured. Most of the low latency models and the faster RAMs have a CAS timing of 2 so I figure with the timings of 3-3-3 that should be in the mid range. I would like faster ram, but 1. I can't afford it 2. I don't think I know enough about ram timings and frequencies and all that good stuff yet so I believe I'll be good with the budget module. I knew it was the budget module, the hyperx pc3200 was twice as much as the one I posted. But like I said I'll be happy going from 256mb of pc2700 running at pc2100 speeds cause of my 266FSB CPU to a 400FSB 3200+ chip and having a gig of pc3200 running at pc3200 =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom