beep code question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

g2k556

In Runtime
Okay, so i've had some major issues with my pc. First my computer fails to boot. So there are not beeps whatsoever. Swapped psu, so i know it wasn't that. So it's either the motherboard or the cpu. So I guess cpu. Turns out no. Does the same thing. So I just now installed my new motherboard, and well, it doesn't boot. But this time, i do get a beep. and an annoying one at that. It's a very loud beep that lasts about 20 or 30 seconds, stops and repeats. Not sure how many times it will, cause after 3 i shut it off. So can some one tell me what could be wrong. I have an asus p5n-d with a q6600. Thanks in advance. Gavin.

Never heard a beep *beep* for that long, then repeat. However, I'd check your ram.
Long, repeated beeps usually mean bad RAM or video card. Out of those the more likely is the RAM.

Try booting with only one stick in, see if you get the same error. If you still get beeps, swap the one stick in the pc with a different stick and try again.

okay, so i take out both sticks of ram, and when i power up, i get one long beep and 2 short.

okay, so i take out both sticks of ram, and when i power up, i get one long beep and 2 short.

In other words you took out ALL your ram? Not quite what I meant for you to do :)
only take out ONE stick, always make sure you have at least one stick in, otherwise you'll get an error.

What I'm trying to do is test each stick individually, to see if either stick is faulty and causing your computer the problem.

Yes that's where I'd start. It looks like your on the right track since it does recognize that there's no ram installed before going on to any other beep code, ruling out a few major problems. Like Soul said, test each stick individually to see the results. You might just have a bad one.

I'v known three long beeps to be keyboard related (on IBM borads) before.
Try making sure the keyboard is functional and the ps/2 port is not faulty.

Cheers,

Tkey

i actually did do that before, and i got the same results as with both of them in, it beeps really long. i don't think it's quite 20 seconds, but with the annoyingness of it, it seemed like it. and if found my board is a phoenix/award bios. thanks for the help so far, it really is appreciated.

okay, so one continuous loop beep is memory error. That happens when the memory is in. When there is no memory in, it has one long beep followed by two short, which means bad video card. so at least i know for sure its one of those, eventhough i new this before since it's the last two components to replace :/ i just took out and reseated the video card, same story.

Okay well it's one of two things, then. I've had something similar to this happen to me before. I think Either your ram is incompatible with the motherboard (which ended up being the case with me) or the mobo is bad. What you want to do is run out to CCity, Best Buy, whatever and buy a gig of the cheapest ddr2 value ram (667 stuff, not even 800) you can, and install it. No reason it shouldn't work on a good mobo. If it boots up okay, try each slot and run Memtest and then you'll know if your Gskill ram is faulty/incompatible. You can return the ram to the store pretty easily, just say it didn't work or something if you have no need for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom