First build: Need help selecting PSU, video card, and sound card

Status
Not open for further replies.

ItalianBoy228

Beta member
I'm fairly new to some of the tech abbreviations and slang so please excuse my incompetence. I've been wanting to build a computer for a very long time, but only recently started researching all of the different components and the like. I do consider myself somewhat tech savvy although not nearly on the level of the folks around here. So basically the following is a list of the components I have choosen to go with and what I'm looking for is a suggestion for a PSU that will handle all of it (power and connectors and preferably something that lights up blue although the lighting part isn't as important) as well as a decent video card (hopefully one that can transmit some HDTV or atleast through DVI) and a pretty good sound card as well. Sound card is probably more important than the video card to me. I don't want to get too crazy on either though. So here is the list:

Motherboard: ASUS P5Q Deluxe
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
Case: Ultra X-Blaster Black ATX Mid-Tower Case with Clear Side, Front USB, FireWire, Audio Ports and Free 400Watt V-Series Power Supply ULT33177 at CompUSA.com (I'll probably be taking off the air duct as I'm getting the feeling it's just going to get in the way. Also, not sure if the PSU that is provided is all that good.)
Media Dash: Amazon.com: Ultra Products ULT40123 MD3 Media Dashboard Fan Controller: Industrial & Scientific
Zalman CNPS9500 Heatsink
and some ram from Crucial. I'm thinking a 2GB kit (1GB by 2) and 1GB kit (512MB by 2).
I'll also be getting a DVD/CD burner/player and probably a 500GB HD as well. Not sure if this makes a difference either, but I'm also probably going to try and get into playing WoW and I'm not sure if the video card is going to make a huge difference for that game.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,
Welcome to Tech-Forums.

depends on what state you are in...but,
check Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more! for some of the best prices in the states

hop that ASUS P5Q Pro and HD 4850 combo from Newegg ;)

sound card - Creative X-Fi ?? although horrible drivers on Vista

reliable and blue leds!? same thing I am currently using!?
here ya go Newegg.com - OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI 700W ATX12V Power Supply 100 - 240 V - Power Supplies
$192.99 is probably more than I'd be willing to spend on video card (HD 4850). I'm not interested in crossfire either in case anyone was going to ask that question. And $114.99 may be a little more than I'd be willing to pay for a PSU you as well. Thank you for the advice though. I will take it into consideration. Anyone else?

EDIT- Although now that you brought it up, I think I'm going to go with the 600w psu you from ocz. Looks like it does all the same stuff and isn't setup for crossfire (which I already stated was fine with). And with a price tag of $99 minus a $30 MIR, it seems to be a pretty good cost as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom