Where do you put temp probe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bew556

Baseband Member
Does anybody know where your supposed to put the temperature probe? Is it in between the cpu and heatsink? Also my comps temperature display has been showing around 82 degrees, if i'm correct this is way to high, right? Is it because the temperature probe is just hanging lose in the case?

is that 82 degrees C or F that's kind of important to know but I'm gonna guess 82C if that is the case then yeah thats too damn hot. I got my safety shut off set at 75C but thats on the processor itself not just the system case air. Normally depending on what socket you have the temp probe goes under the processor, but not everyone is the same so that might not be the case for yours. I've heard many people say they've stuck the probe directly on the heatsink. I would say if you were to do that I'd place the probe nearest to the bottom of the heatsink. That will give you an approximation but will be off the real temperature by a good 5C I'm gonna say by the least. and yeah if you just have the probe hanging out then yeah its gonna read ambient air temperature. 82F ambient air is 27C which just for the cases air inside is pretty good. But like I said we need to know if you're talking C or F in the first place

It says 82 F. So if I have a AMD 64 where do you think I should stick it. When you say under the cpu did you mean on top like in between the cpu and heatsink?

isnt temperture nowadays read from an internal component, so u dont need any probe? like from a moboSocket or cpu diode or something?

i saw instructions for using a temp probe on 1 of AMD's intallation instrution tutorials.

yeah there normally is an internal probe, there is in mine and probably in his too, but theres some cases, even one I was looking at not too long ago, that also come with a temp probe so you can see the temp on the front of your case. You have to read up on your AMD 64 cause I really have no idea and when I meant under the cpu I meant UNDER the CPU itself not between it and the heatsink. Thats what I read on some instructions of the thermal probe I saw but not all systems are the same, I'd say put it on the bottom of the heatsink, between the cpu and heatsink if you could, but of course not on the little square you put your thermal compound on, so just place the thermal diode on the bottom of the heatsink a bit off center if the wire is thin enough. 82F for your CPU is excellent, that's 27C so yeah you're doing good in that area if that is your CPU temperature, its still pretty good if its your system case air though. but 27C on an AMD 64 muchless would be pretty damn good so you wouldn't have that without very efficient cooling. So I think the 82F is just the air in the case temp. Let me know what happens

Well now I've stuck it in between the heatsink fins themselves towards the middle. Now I'm getting 87 F on idle with my cpu fan turned all the way down. When I'm running a game or something it normally gets up to 100 F with the fan still on lowest. So I don't know if this is good or not. I think its pretty good considering I currently only have 2 fans in my system(x-dreamer II). Which are the 2 stock 80mm led fans that come with it. Im going to get 2 more 80mm and a 120mm fan. Also does anybody know how many exhaust fans is good to have. I have one on top of my case and then the one on the side is the intake. When I buy the other 3 should I make any of them exhaust?

You always need to have exhaust, you don't want to just pump air in the air, all you're technically doing is moving around hot air which is better that still hot air, but still you gotta remove that heat. If you don't have any exhaust right now you need to make one. My exhaust fan is on the side, intake in the back, intake sucks in goes straight on processer which then sucks that air straight down on itself. 87F and even up to 100F is really good temperatures. Thats only 30-37C. So if thats coming off your heatsink assume your processor is a little hotter than that. I'm kinda amazed if you have an AMD Athlon 64 nonetheless running that cool off of no major cooling

Well my exhaust fan right now is on the top, I figure I'll keep it like that since hot air rises. I'll make my rear fan, side fan, and two fans in the front all intake. Either that or I'll make the 120mm fan in the back the exhaust and all the rest intake. Which one would be better?

I would say its a better idea to have more exhaust than intake. Having the top fan exhaust is a good idea due to like you said heat rising. I'd make the Rear, and 2 fronts your intake and make the side and top your exhaust. Since all I had in my computer was the rear 80mm fan and a side 80mm fan, I took another 80mm fan out of a power supply =P and technically did a little jimmy rigging cause the connectors for power wasn't the same, but anyway, I attached that fan directly to the side fan, stacked on top of each other with air blowing the same way. I attached the fan I took out of the PSU on the bottom side of the side fan so that the new fan remained inside the case obviously =P And that's pulled another 2 or 3 degrees Celcius out of my case. Its always a good idea to have the fans sucking out all that hot air ya know? Your intakes are just pushing air in, pushing it in doesn't cool it all that much, but sucking the hot air out can and will make a difference.

Your only true test would be to try multiple setups. Let your computer run idle for 30mins or so and test temperatures until you find what fan intake/exhaust setup works the best. IMO though I would say a good setup would be Rear and fronts intake, top and side exhaust. That should create a whirlwind within the case

Or you could setup front and top as INTAKE and have the side and rear as exhaust so that you have air basically coming in the front moving toward the back and exiting. That way potential heat from the PSU won't go into your rear intake fan and the top fan pulling air in will provide cooler air to go into the PSU at its front. Tons of choices =) hehehe Let me know what you go with

Well I still have to order the other three fans and figure out which ones I want. So after I do that it will probably be late next week or later when I have them in. So I'll post back in this thread after my testing is done and say what worked the best.

Both your ideas were great. I'm def going to try them both. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom