Unallocated Drive - Important data on Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

techfriend

Beta member
I'm looking for a miracle here- this is kind of my prayer.

I have a Maxtor 250 G hard disk slaved to a Seagate 40 G drive. My system is like a 2ghz machine with a gig of memory. I recently reinstalled Windows XP by first running a format and an fdisk and something called a zerofill - (the exe was called Wipe)

The thing I'm concerned about is, that when I ran the wipe program it asked me to specify the drive I wanted to wipe. I wasn't sure so I went to fdisk just to see the physical drive configuration and numbers (because I knew that it named the fixed drives by numbers). The only drive in fdisk was the 40 G Seagate (the one I just previously partitioned, a.k.a the master drive). I noticed that the drive read as fixed physical drive 1... so I went back to the wipe program and typed in WIPE 1 (now I am not sure if I wiped the 250g drive or the 40g one).

The reason I am unsure is because when XP was finished installing, I went to MY Computer and did not see the 250 drive - however I was able to see it in Disk Management. (it was listed as Drive 1 - Basic - 232.88 GB "Unallocated")

I have very valuable (memories) on that drive and am worried that the data (photos and other) are lost. A friend suggested that I buy an external casing for it and try connecting it to another computer.

I already tried a few configurations with the jumper pins. Tthere were two master settings with the 40g and only one option to slave the 250g. I tried them both and no luck. I also changed the Bios of the 250 from Auto (which both drives were set to) to HDD. No luck there either.

Any suggestions.

recover partition?

check out a previous thread, same subject. You might be able to find some answers there.

Thanks, that thread gives me hope!

I am still not sure if I ran the WIPE tool on the master or the slave. I believed it to be the master (which is the one I wanted to wipe). The reason I believe this is - fdisk referred to my 40g drive as Physical Fixed Drive 1 and the WIPE tool asked for an option of wiping physical drive 0 or 1. Is it possibel that the wipe tool and fdisk (or DOS) were referring to two different physical drive numbers?

I know the general rule is that Drive 0 is the master and Drive 1 is the slave not sure why fdisk was only showing the Master.

Has anyone else used the "Active Partition Recovery" tool to recover data (off a unallocated drive)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom