Suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lasrix

In Runtime
Hey Folks!

It's that time again. Another build is to be made. I have a few things i wanna ask you guys but i'll just bother you all with just one for now.

The topic is hard drives. I'm looking to go big with the rig but I'm also looking for quality, some quiet and performance. My question being:

Shall i go with a Velociraptor, 2x74Gb Raptors in Raid 0 or 2x250gb Hdd's in Raid 0? I know the obvious answer is gonna be the Velociraptor and second being the regular raptors. The thing I'm stumped on is bang for the buck and the noise I'm dealing with.

I'm told the Velociraptor sounds like a helicopter, true? And I'm sure the raptors aren't far off.

The reason i say 2x250Gb Hdd's is because i can get em nice and cheap. My question on that matter is how much of a difference are we looking at for 2x10k drives appose to 2x7200 drives? Am i gonna see a big performance difference?

All opinions appreciated,

-Cheers

Depends on what you are using your computer for really. For price/performance the ratio is in major favor of the 2x250GB drives, which I would personally get. And spend the money else where.

I've got an external for my storage. So the drives are just for apps

-Cheers

there is a big difference in performance, i love my 74WD Raptor. I use that for OS's/games and it runs them really fast. My operating system loads very very fast. I do notice sometimes the noise can get a little high but i have my HDDs in the floppy bays so...If you want low noise then go for the 250x2

Hey Folks!

It's that time again. Another build is to be made. I have a few things i wanna ask you guys but i'll just bother you all with just one for now.

The topic is hard drives. I'm looking to go big with the rig but I'm also looking for quality, some quiet and performance. My question being:

Shall i go with a Velociraptor, 2x74Gb Raptors in Raid 0 or 2x250gb Hdd's in Raid 0? I know the obvious answer is gonna be the Velociraptor and second being the regular raptors. The thing I'm stumped on is bang for the buck and the noise I'm dealing with.

I'm told the Velociraptor sounds like a helicopter, true? And I'm sure the raptors aren't far off.

The reason i say 2x250Gb Hdd's is because i can get em nice and cheap. My question on that matter is how much of a difference are we looking at for 2x10k drives appose to 2x7200 drives? Am i gonna see a big performance difference?

All opinions appreciated,

-Cheers

Don't consider a Velociraptor, they are loud and they are not worth it period, yes its noticeably faster, however if the Western Digital 640gb has more space and is almost as fast

Two of the Sales reps at work have a Velociraptor and they say it is horribly loud. So i'll rule that out of the equation.

Does anyone know of any benchmarks for Raptors going up against 7200Rpm drives? In RAID 0.

I went with the 2x 250gb hdd's. It cut my boot up time by 40secs. Load times are nice as well.

Thx all,

-Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom