Building buddies computer - need some help

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonKerz

In Runtime
I'm building a system for my buddy and I have 2 questions. 1 about processors and the other about graphics cards. Okay, so first question, what is the best Intel quad core out now, for reasonable price (around $200-300) that can be overclocked, and run fairly cool on air. I was thinking of getting him a Q6600, which is what I run in my system @ 3.6Ghz at around 35 degree idle. Now for the graphics card. What is the best single card I can get for gaming? 8800GTS G92, 8800 Ultra, or 9800gx2

i would recommend the 9800 gx, Im using the BFG Tech BFGE98512GTXOCE it works great, and at a reasonable price. and get it from newegg. Way cheap

I'm building a system for my buddy and I have 2 questions. 1 about processors and the other about graphics cards. Okay, so first question, what is the best Intel quad core out now, for reasonable price (around $200-300) that can be overclocked, and run fairly cool on air. I was thinking of getting him a Q6600, which is what I run in my system @ 3.6Ghz at around 35 degree idle. Now for the graphics card. What is the best single card I can get for gaming? 8800GTS G92, 8800 Ultra, or 9800gx2

Depends on which game... out of those I'd take the 9800gx2 if the games do good with SLI, otherwise that whole SLI on one card doesn't perform well, or otherwise get the 8800gts g92

but the 9800gtx+ is coming out soon and would do better than both (assuming that we're talking about Non-SLI ready games)

oo wow, when do you think it'll be released? Also, I was looking at 3d marks yesterday and Veedubs made my jaw drop.. how the heck did he get a score so high with the same components I have, and I'm scoring at near 16k. I'm guessing it's because his Q6600 was hopped up to 4.0Ghz, which couldn't be a stable 24/7 running speed.. could it? Perhaps with water cooling, I'd assume.

Side note: right now he is really focussed on having a computer that will run Age of Conan well.

Here is the list of hardware components I'm getting (All purchased from Newegg):
-ABS 900w psu
-BFG 9800gx2 (may change - and will evga precision overclocking tool work with that? or do you need an Evga card?)
-Gigabyte DS3R
-4g (2x 2g sticks) Mushkin 1066 memory (Is this good memory? and as far as overclocking the CPU, is it the amount of sticks that factor in to it? or the amount of memory?)
-Q6600
-Tuniq Tower 120 cpu cooler (I'd like to get water cooling, but I'm not so sure about the set ups they have on Newegg)

I think the 9800 gtx+ is out now. Like within the last 24 hours. At least thats what I can tell from the EVGA website. I think they have one under their products listed for $199

go for Dangerden Water blocks if you do decide to WC. but yea it'll be a nice system to WC if you have a board that will oc well enough to make it WC worthy.

i would not upgrade from an 8800gts g92 to an 9800gtx+ for $200.

Also ur asking for the best graphics card, why arnt we talking about the 4850,4870, gtx 260 and gtx 280?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom