Not open for further replies.

Jake2k

In Runtime
Here's my current setup:

Intel(R) Celeron(TM) CPU 1300MHz
1.29 GHz, 512 MB of RAM

200 Gig of hdd space spread across three hdd's
150/40/10

I'm not sure what other info might be needed.

So my computer was fine when I was just browsing the web but now I'm starting to use programs like Photoshop CS2 and Cinema 4D and it's getting kinda laggy. I've also noticed that I like to multi-task and my computer is having trouble keeping up.

I will be building a new computer as soon as I move into my new apartment (couple months) but I would like to know if there are any quick/cheap fixes to get some more power from my current system. Thanks

Hi,

if I were you, I'd save up for a new rig, since stuff you buy for this old comp most likely won't be re-usable in your new rig,
and you know how quickly component's value drop once you open the package :(
but if you absolutely must have some quick boost, you can try adding another 512MB of RAM since CS2 and Cine 4D use a handful of memory
HOWEVER,
Ram is only one of the three major Photoshop bottlenecks; CPU speed, ram and scratch disk. Multiple processor machines are faster than single processor machines
Source: photoshopnews

even with added RAM that CPU is just slow :p
it's a single core, so by nature multi tasking is not so hot for it

again, emphasis on saving your bux for new rig is the better route :)

thanks for the reply and the info! I should have around $500 or more saved for a new computer in a couple months do you think thats enough to get a good multi-tasking computer?

Absolutely. If you're building a brand new computer, you can easily build a reasonable computer for multitasking, internet, word processing, and reasonable gaming for $500. Other threads in this forum have computers around that price, and if you stick around, you'll see people ask questions about their own builds (including me, who built a computer for $550).

$500 would be fine for a nice dual core computer. No reason to sink any money into your current rig. The memory it uses would be expensive and you can't add it to your new rig when you get it so it's just a waste.

Thanks for the info guys, I guess I'll just make due with what I have for now. As far as the new computer should I start the build with the CPU or the mother board? Oh and since I run so many programs at once I was thinking about getting 4 gigs of ram or will 2 be enough?

I would get the cpu and motherboard at the same time but it shouldn't make allot of difference either way. 2gb of ram should be enough.

Can you explain that to me a bit more? What is a 64 bit operating system and how does it compare to a regular one? thanks again

btw should I use this thread for my build thread or make a new one?

As a side note, 4GB of ram would require a 64 bit operating system, so keep that in mind if you want to go that route.

It is not required, a 32-bit OS can still use 4gb of ram. It will recognize around 3.5gb and the remainder will be reserved for system functions and essentially invisible to the user.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom