Anyone here overclocked a Intel Q9450 before?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clint Eastwood

Baseband Member
I've got the Q9450, and from what I've heard the multiplier is low and it doesn't allow much overclocking. However, I'm only trying to get to 3.0-3.2 anyways if possible. Has anyone here OC'd the Q9450?

This is my first time doing so, and I want to know everything I can about this specific processor.

I have. All you need to do is jump up the FSB to 400MHz. Even on "auto" voltages for everything else, with my motherboard (X48 Rampage Formula) it held steady. Download Core Temp and tell us what your VID is, that will tell you how well it will overclock.

cpuz.jpg

Apparently, Intel has something that slows down the core speed when it's idling to keep down the temperature. So I assume the core speed is 2.66 once it's under load.

Here's everything important in the computer.

Intel Q9450
DFI Lanparty P35 mobo
Newegg.com - DFI LANPARTY DK P35-T2RS LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
Asus ATI 4850(don't think that matters much)
Mushkin 2GB DDR2 PC6400 ram
Newegg.com - mushkin 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) with EPP Profile Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

I'm waiting for the new heatsink to come in, then I'll actually attempt to overclock. I just hoping to get advice before it arrives.

This is with the stock heatsink btw, I'm still waiting for the new one.

Real temp temperatures at idle

Core 0: 44c
Core 1: 40c
Core 2: 39c
Core 3: 39c

Core temp temperatures at idle

Core 0: 53c
Core 1: 50c
Core 2: 49c
Core 3: 48c

Hmm...

Core temp says my VID is 1.25 volts.

I think Gurusan was making a little joke. 1.35 vcore sounds pretty low for 400fsb. You would need it quite a bit higher. Also, maybe your RAM is getting clocked too high. Change the RAM multiplier so it wont let your RAM clock as high when you raise the fsb. Your motherboard has something like EIST, but it's just not called that. Look inside your manual for something related to cpu throttling.

on a 45nm cpu, 1.35vcore is not as low as it would be on a 65nm, like your e6600, and my q6600.

Eastwood, do you have $35 laying around? You would benfit from an aftermarket heatsink because those idle temps are terrible, although to be expected from a stock intel heatsink.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom