Techist - Tech Forum - View Single Post - Western Digital= FAIL

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2008, 11:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
hickfarm
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to hickfarm Send a message via MSN to hickfarm
Default Western Digital= FAIL

Anyways i was downloading something overnight and the next day when i get to my pc it says the location the info was being written can no longer be found. So i figured maybe a sata cable came loose or something like it has on this HDD before. Well that isn't the problem.

I reboot my pc and the HDD spins up, but clicks every few seconds so i knew the head was stuck or something. I am thinking oh **** i got nearly 500 gigs of info on there since it was a 500 gig HDD. So i'm not worried about the drive failing as much as the info that i had on it. Movies, music, pictures, the whole works.

So i suck it up and buy a terabyte Seagate drive just to spite Western Digital for failing on me and also to try and recover the data.

So in desperation i try the freezer trick, but no go and it does the exact same thing. I going to RMA the drive eventually since it is easily under the 5 year warranty. But is there any other ways to get the drive to work before i send it off? I have heard about heating it up with a hair drier also and that may get it going. Any suggestions would be good as long as it doesn't cost me losing my warranty.
Custom John Deere
DFI Infinity NF UlTRAII-M2 motherboard
20" Benq Monitor
320 gig Seagate hard drive, 1000gig internal Western Digital, 500gig MyBook
My John Deere Case==> http://hickfarm.com/blog/?cat=7

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.