Got my $$$, Now time to order...

Status
Not open for further replies.
it will work, however it only has 2 6pin connectors, and a single HD4870 requires 2 alrdy so you won't be able to crossfire down the road, if you get the corsair 750tx or the xigmatek i posted, they have 2x 6pins, and 2x 8 pins...

Don't the cards come with molex->6pin connectors, so having that many 6pin+8pin connecters isnt necessary.

i would suggest ddr2 1066 ram. it probably wont make much of a difference in your overclock with that cpu, but it will (obviously) run faster than ddr2 800. you can set the multiplier to run it underclocked, stock, overclocked, or really overclocked lol.
i got 4gb of OCZ platinum for just a little more than that gskill costs.

My ordered mobo only supports up to ddr2 800... Wouldn't it be a waste???

it wont be capped at 800 if you overclock your processor. say you theoretically could get 533mhz FSB outta that board (not likely)....you could then run your ram at 1066 stock speed (533 x 2) on a 1:1 ratio. not a whole lot of ddr2 800 will do that without lots of voltage or loose timings. nowadays it seems people are lucky to get 450mhz out of ddr2 800 with decent timings.

did you change mobos from the original post? i could have sworn that the mobo i looked at before my post said it supported ddr2 1066 with EPP 1...

yea really..if you OC and run a 1:1 ratio you won't need anymore than 800mhz RAM anyway

cause for 800 it'd be 400FSB and that's 3.6ghz on a Q6600, not many people go over that

it wont be capped at 800 if you overclock your processor. say you theoretically could get 533mhz FSB outta that board (not likely)....you could then run your ram at 1066 stock speed (533 x 2) on a 1:1 ratio. not a whole lot of ddr2 800 will do that without lots of voltage or loose timings. nowadays it seems people are lucky to get 450mhz out of ddr2 800 with decent timings.

did you change mobos from the original post? i could have sworn that the mobo i looked at before my post said it supported ddr2 1066 with EPP 1...

Ok, I see what you are saying... No it's been the same mobo from the beginning..

MotherBoard
DFI LANPARTY DK X38-T2R LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail 184.99

It says memory standard ddr2 800...

yea really..if you OC and run a 1:1 ratio you won't need anymore than 800mhz RAM anyway

cause for 800 it'd be 400FSB and that's 3.6ghz on a Q6600, not many people go over that

I went with the E7200 if that matters at all...

So now let me ask you guys this. Will the RAM I went with (already ordered) gonna prevent me from hitting a good OC with my processor? Will it hold me back?

no. you will be able to run it 1:1 @ 400fsb for 3.8ghz overclock (your cpu has 9.5 multiplier) if your cpu will do that.
you will be fine with that ram.
i suggested the ddr2 1066 because i thought the mobo supported it, but i must have been thinking of another thread.

no. you will be able to run it 1:1 @ 400fsb for 3.8ghz overclock (your cpu has 9.5 multiplier) if your cpu will do that.
you will be fine with that ram.
i suggested the ddr2 1066 because i thought the mobo supported it, but i must have been thinking of another thread.

I'm actually going to be shooting for the big 4ghz mark... Would that be achievable???

anything's possible, sure. you dont see many that high. thats going to be pushing it. like, really pushing it.
just hope you get a good chip, and see what it can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom