New Harddrive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also hear that there's special "pondlife" being bred which can go inside. Thus doubling ur case up as a handy aquarium. These pondlife are trained to perform all sorts of maintenance and performance increase jobs on the internals of the machine.

The future is truly here :)

The saga continues...

Thanks to all who have contributed so far :)

Latest thing I've heard is that I'll need to update my BIOS! Aparantly my current BIOS will only support harddrives up to about 8GB!

But having also read that my controller card will probably have its own BIOS, does this make it necessary?

The drive and controller both turned up today and have next to no instructions with them.

So...

Do I need a BIOS update? (If so, how?)

Also. I'm still not sure what to do about setting the boot sequence as mentioned in an earlier post.

Someone's told me if I set it to SCSI, it will detect the Controller in the PCI slot.

What order should I set it up to search to boot from? Floppy, CdRom, then SCSI?

Thanks again :)

oh. and just noticed I've not got a jumper on the jumper pins? I assume there should be?

I'll only be using the one drive (for now) so will it be ok withouth. I mean, will it default to master?

I tried. I failed.

*Took the old drive out.
*Put the controller and new drive in and connected it all up.
*Power on and into BIOS to change the boot sequence to SCSI instead of IDE0.
*Saved settings and started up again with windows xp pro disc in.
*Pressed F6 when promopted - asks if I want to install drivers
*After a short while asked to insert the floppy into drive A for the controller drivers......

....I've not got the drivers on floppy though. And I don't know how I'm meant to fit a 117MB CD (which was what was supplied) onto a floppy.

So. Option two....

Thought, I'd try starting up with both drives in place, with the current IDE one as the boot one. Then see what happens. Imagine i'd be prompted to load drivers when new hardware was discovered? Then after loading the controller drivers. Remove the old drive and Set the SATA as the boot disc, and start up with windows again....

*Plugged the old IDE drive back in aswell as the Controller card and the SATA drive. And connected both to power supply. I wasn't sure about this, as it's only a 235W PSU.
*Set IDE0 back as the boot disc and (floppy, cdrom, and IDE0). then saved changes and started to load windows

The first time, it just about managed to reach the desktop. Then became very slow and unresponsive.

Tried a few MOre times, but couldn't even get it to load as far as the desktop.

It's been quite interesting learning some new stuff. But that's fast fading!

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks again.

MO :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom