No power when power sw. pushed..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive had the same problem with an older computer of mine. I switched out the battery that powers the bios. I never thought that you even needed the battery to start, and it would always load default bios settings... but when I switched out the battery it worked perfect. Then the battery went bad again. I still have the boad, but because it seems to run though batterys I never use it.

Legion2005 said:
Ive had the same problem with an older computer of mine. I switched out the battery that powers the bios. I never thought that you even needed the battery to start, and it would always load default bios settings... but when I switched out the battery it worked perfect. Then the battery went bad again. I still have the boad, but because it seems to run though batterys I never use it.

Well, I've never had any problems with it loading default bios unless I pull the CMOS jumper and reset the bios manually. Did it just not power up when the battery was down? It would seem like the thing would at least power up, but just load the default bios if the battery were dead. I'll pick one up anyway, I'm headed to radioshack right now.

wellllll I had an old motherboard that was an SiS come to think of it, that the spot where the battery fits into had a bad connection. The CMOS couldn't store any data so if I wanted to turn on my computer I had to use the jumpers to clear the cmos, then put the jumpers back THEN my computer would turn on, but if you turned it off, you'd have to go back through the procedure of changin the jumper...clear cmos...change jumpers back...power on. So yeah your battery being dead is a very real possibility. Try what I did and clear your cmos using the jumpers then put the jumper back and see if it'll start up

Well, I went ahead and got another board, and it works perfectly. This time I went with MSI, which I have never purchased before. Looks like a pretty solid board, and has additional overclocking features that weren't on my other 865 soyo.

Thanks for the help :p

yeah the Dynamic overclocking features, that's what comes standard in this particular MSI board I have too. This one has CORECELL technology in the BIOS, yours have the same thing? I read a big article on the Dynamic overclocking. it SAYS it determines the load on your CPU and overclocks your computer accordingly to help out with the load...well in reality, it doesn't detect CPU load at all but rather HEAT. Now to me it doesn't make much sense to overclock based on the CPU getting hotter, but hey I'm not a multibillion dollar coorperation designing these things. With the Corecell monitor you can overclock your computer right within windows. I just up'd my FSB one by one. Went from 133 to 140 no problem with no added cooling, but I'm a wuss and don't want to really try overclocking =) Don't have money to replace the shit =P

Well, with my Soyo I was just running my 2.8C at 3.2ghz. I bought some extra cooling though, and it had been working great. I don't know why my pc just stopped booting up, it worked fine last night. I shut it off and went to bed, then it doesn't boot up again.

My MSI had that corecell thing, but I haven't gotten around to installing anything on the CD yet. I'll do that tomorrow probably. Now I just want to go to sleep and forget that I just spent 100 more dollars on this PC :p

Computers are awesome.

You are going to want to format your hard drive. When you install windows, in centers the installation around your motherboard. You wont get maximum preformance if you dont format and reinstall windows. Actually things might start going haywire.

Actually both boards used the intel ich5 chipset I think it is, so there was no problem just using the old windows installation. I've done a bunch of Sandra tests on memory bandwidth and processor performance, and I am very pleased with the performance of this board.

The board is MSI MS-6728, 865PE Neo-2.

I swapped out an ASUS board for an MSI board and changed the graphics card without formatting and everything went smoothly =) Although yeah I'd agree that it's good practice to format with the fresh drivers and whatnot

I guess if they are the same chipset, you would be fine... I never thought about that really.

If I were you I would format, but I am a nerd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom