I need help with my new graphics card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilman501

Beta member
CPUZ.png
That's my computer info.

Keep in mind I know next to NOTHING on computers.
A lot of tech-savvy people were positive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ightech+H955H256-1TOAN+Radeon+9550+256MB+128-
this card would work and so when it came I was excited. We took out our old card (everything was unplugged and turned off), inserted the new card, it fit in, then we put in the monitor cord in the back and all the rest of the cords. We turned it on and (we have windows XP) it came to the screen where it has the Microsoft windows symbol with a white bar below it where normally blue squares travel from left to right like loading, but in this case, nothing was happenning in the loading bar.

After a couple of minutes, all the colors go wonky. Like blue becomes purple and white becomes light blue et cetera. Soon after that I hear the windows start-up noise, as if I should be looking at my desktop while I'm looking at a strangely colored not loading loading bar and windows symbol.

When we boot in safe mode it goes to a black screen with vertical green pixel lines going down. This EXACT problem happenned once before, but we're positive we put it in fine and frankly it looks like it should work. I have no idea what's going on. I'll do whatever steps ect it takes to fix this problem.

New computer is out of the question.

Hmm, start your computer and get into the BIOS (by either pressing delete or F10 which ever it is for your computer) try and find the AGP settings and change the transfer rate to the highest it will go. Which looks like 4x for your motherboard.

Also double check that the card is in properly. It will require a little force to get it in trust me

Well I put in the card as hard as I could then even my dad did and we're positive it's in. I'll go try the BIOS suggestion. Edit: Where in BIOS do I got to change the AGP settings?

The transfer rate shouldn't matter, but let us know how it goes. What was the old video card?

Make sure there are no bent pins on your monitor cable, and that it's plugged into the video card nice and tight.

I can't find where to change the transfer rate. The old video card, I don't recall exactly what it was, but it was a 16MB card which is why I needed an upgrade. I'll try doing a definite card insertion and cord check but what I honestly want to know is, from my description, what sort of problem is this?

EDIT: I took out the card and put it back in as possibly as I'm sure it will go, the plug is VERY tightly in there with the two knobs all the way turned in, and the actual monitor cords are fine, but the funky windows logo colors are still there and same thing is happenning to safe mode with the red and green verticle lines and blue pixels everywhere at the top.

The old one ran without any drivers. But I'll check for possibly older ones and maybe try downloading all the new card's drivers. I uninstalled all the old drivers and downloaded all the new ones, nothing.

Okay... So when you turn the PC on, you see the logo screen, or the startup screen where it displays the computer make, memory size, etc... Then you see the low-res Windows logo... Then things go nuts. Even in Safe Mode? Safe Mode or VGA mode should make the video drivers irrelevent.

It sounds like the card is fine... Possibly a partially bad monitor cable... But I'm wondering, what is the size, brand and model of the monitor you're using? If the monitor can't properly display 60Hz (definitely a slim chance of that, but you never know) then you'll get the effects you mention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom