Built System Not Working At All

Status
Not open for further replies.

silveredition

Solid State Member
I bought 1.3k worth of hardware and assembled the machine only to find there was no display. After RMAing the processor, video card, and motherboard, I was told that the problem was that the motherboard didn't support 45nm technology. I bought an open-box motherboard that I know does support 45nm technology. I try to boot up, but still get no display, and the computer doesn't seem to be doing anything. I am completely out of ideas as to what the problem is.

This is my current hardware setup:
ASRock 4Core1333-Viiv LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3160815AS 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31000340AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

2 x A-DATA 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory

LG Black 16X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 4X DVD+R DL 16X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 5X DVD-RAM DVD-ROM: 16X Blu-ray DVD-ROM: 6X HD DVD-ROM: 3X DVD-ROM 40X CD-R 24X CD-RW 4MB Cache SATA Blu-ray/HD DVD-ROM & 16X DVD±R DVD Burner

XFX PVT84JUDD3 GeForce 8600GT XXX 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card

HEC ZEPHYR HEC-750DR-AT Continuous 750W ATX12V V2.2/EPS12V V2.91 LED SLI Power Supply

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor

When I boot up, I get no video output, no beep codes, nothing. Occasionally, the system restarts itself after a few seconds. It's hard to tell exactly what's going on since I have no video, but all of the fans are spinning and the DVD light blinks, so I presume everything is getting power OK.

Does anyone have any idea why this might not be working? I am completely lost. This has already become a money pit, and I'd really just like for the system to do ANYTHING.

Yer I had the same problem when I bought a E8200 and a P5n-D motherboard, (I think thats what it was, can't remember) anyway I needed to do a BIOS flash to get it working properly, I had an old cleron which i threw into it. That got it working so I could flash the bios and place my new cpu back in the board.

Worth a try

Me and my friend both had this happen to us while building different rigs for people recently.

My build: The screen would stay black and wouldn't post but the MOBO, GPU, and case fans would all start up and light up. I eventually figured out that my motherboard was grounded. To check this try starting it with nothing touching the motherboard. I started it up outside of the case and it worked. Sometimes screws, or in my case the metal backing of the cpu fan will ground the board.

My friends build: Had the exact same symptoms as above. It was his brand new ram. Switched it out for a different brand and everything worked.

Why not buy a used mobo and try it out? 50 bucks is probably nothing for you.

Or why not take it to a computer technician, and get charged only 5 bucks? 40 at the max.

To clarify, these are the prices currently in mexico. 5 being the cheapest, 40 the highest.

Make sure you have those like red stickies or whatever, on the screws so that the metal is not touching the mobo.

I don't think he will find a computer technician that cheap. You said you didn't try the RAM, I would give that a test.

Try it with just one of the 2GB sticks inserted. Try the stick in different memory slots.

Thanks for all the suggestions, everybody. I have an update here. Per Naphtali14's post, I figured the easiest thing to test was the grounded issue. Turns out I did have a problem! I still don't get video output, but I can now get beep codes and the keyboard IS getting lights (caps lock, scroll lock, etc. work). I get a single beep, and still no video output.

What's the likelihood this is a RAM issue, now? According to the new mobo's specs, the 1333 FSB speed I need requires DMM2-667, and I'm currently u sing DMM2-800 because that was the compatibility listed with the board on Newegg when I bought it. From what I understand it should be backward compatible, but would this be the problem?

Your DDR2 800 is supported. Like I said, I would try using just one stick of the 2x 2GB sticks. Then if it doesn't work, try the other stick. If that doesn't work try the different memory slots.

Just tried every combination of slots / RAM that I could get - tried each RAM stick in each of the four slots, then different combinations of both sticks. No matter what, same thing happens - single beep, no video output. I can't tell if this is a video problem or a POST problem -- the keyboard is getting to the stage where just the numlock light is illuminated (all 3 lights flash, then they are all blank, and then after the beep the numlock light is illuminated).

Any other thoughts on this one? I tried all combinations of the RAM sticks, with the same result. Unless I was originally shipped 2 dead RAM sticks (a situation I consider relatively unlikely), I doubt this is the problem.

Everything that has power should have power, all fans spin, and it appears to even attempt to access the hard disks. I still get no video output, and aside from a single beep, there's nothing else it's giving me to help diagnose the problem.

you could send it to me post paid and I'll rebuild it :p

most times it's not dead anything, just people find it the easiest to RMA something...I don't think I've ever rma'd anything on the first shipment...

easiest fix...rebuild it and follow instructions if there are any that came with whatever

98% of the time diyers don't read manuals...not sure what that's about
:D

if you don't have a manual...just easy enough to do net searches...let's see what I can find...

this seems helpful
Install Your PC in a New Case - Computer Shopper

or try this
diagrams for putting your motherboard in case - Live Search

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom