Got my $$$, Now time to order...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I added Vista 64 to my build... Still wondering about that PSU that I picked... I had the 500w in my previous system and it worked great. Thought upgrading to it's big brother would be ok...

I'm on the fence on the HDD... I'm already over budget and adding that much more for faster loading times and space might not be worth it. Is there a HDD like the one suggested above that might be smaller in capacity that's closer to the price of the one I have selected already?

You might want to get a different motherboard. After hearing about 2 dfi boards dying on veedubfreak I don't recommend them anymore.

4870 is good, but what about 4850 crossfire?
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GV-R485-512H-B Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

But either way, i didn't notice any diffrence from my 16mb cache hd and my 32 mb cache.... Load times seemed just as fast. So if you don't wanna fork out the money for that WD drive which is faster, then don't. I'm not so anal with my games that I notice a millisecond diffrence in my loading times, ha.

The way you have your build configured now makes me jealous ;) it looks to be a great rig.

4870 is good, but what about 4850 crossfire?
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GV-R485-512H-B Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

But either way, i didn't notice any diffrence from my 16mb cache hd and my 32 mb cache.... Load times seemed just as fast. So if you don't wanna fork out the money for that WD drive which is faster, then don't. I'm not so anal with my games that I notice a millisecond diffrence in my loading times, ha.

The way you have your build configured now makes me jealous ;) it looks to be a great rig.

Thanks for the feedback... I thought about the 2x 4850's but I'm kinda building for down the road as well. That's why I thought get a 4870 now then my next upgrade would be a quad core and another 4870 in crossfire...

I might be able to work out the recommended hard drive. I've got to check on a few things first though but I'm sure I can swing it.

That's why I like posting here, all the experts get me thinking..

The only things I am still questioning is -
  1. PSU (will it work ok now and then when I crossfire in the furture)
  2. My selected 22" Acer LCD monitor, is there a better one for the same cost (The recommended components stickey recommends another one for the same price)
  3. Now my mobo selection (The post above said that DFI has some issues???)

Thanks everyone.. Keep me thinking...

edit
I just added a Seagate 500G 7200.11...

lol, thats the same price as the western digital hard drive... which has more space and is slightly faster....
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives
Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

The WD came out on top in some reviews i saw.

edit: ok they WERE the same price, now the 500 gb is a few bucks less... but seriosuly... if your gonna get that one, just go for the 640gb which is faster.

I belive nosboost is selling a 250gb hd btw. Maybe he can hook you up with an awesome deal.

Really, I thought with the 32mb cache it would be faster.. If thats the case I'll switch...

edit
Added Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives 89.99

Anyone know of any promo codes I could use... I noticed when looking at this last night the shipping charge in my newegg cart was like $20 - $30 now it's in the $50 range... Whats up with that???

if you decide to go 4850, the older psu you picked is fine since the 4850 only requires a 6 pin.

promo code:

EMCPSPROMO to get 14 dollars off on the PSU

edit: if you want the AERO interface, you need vista premium. If you live near a microcenter, you can get a E7200 for 10 dollars cheaper, as well as Vista home premium 64 for only 99.99.

if you decide to go 4850, the older psu you picked is fine since the 4850 only requires a 6 pin.

promo code:

EMCPSPROMO to get 14 dollars off on the PSU

edit: if you want the AERO interface, you need vista premium. If you live near a microcenter, you can get a E7200 for 10 dollars cheaper, as well as Vista home premium 64 for only 99.99.

Thanks for the info.. So are you saying that the PSU I have picked won't work with a 4870??? What is AERO interface?

it will work, however it only has 2 6pin connectors, and a single HD4870 requires 2 alrdy so you won't be able to crossfire down the road, if you get the corsair 750tx or the xigmatek i posted, they have 2x 6pins, and 2x 8 pins...

the AERO interface is the eye candy of vista

it will work, however it only has 2 6pin connectors, and a single HD4870 requires 2 alrdy so you won't be able to crossfire down the road, if you get the corsair 750tx or the xigmatek i posted, they have 2x 6pins, and 2x 8 pins...

the AERO interface is the eye candy of vista

That's the info I needed.. Thanks.. Taking your recommendation and going with XIGMATEK MC NRP-MC751 750W ATX12V Ver.2.2 / EPS12V Ver. 2.92 Power Supply 100 - 240 V cUL, CE, TUV, FCC - Retail 139.99...

Making room in the budget I removed the Logitech Speakers... I'll pick something up local..

Thanks again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom