PC locks up within 2-3 minutes after booting using Dual Channel memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CPZ12

Solid State Member
I bought an ECS NF650iSLIT-A motherboard with two OCZ PC2 6400 2GB (OCZ2VU8002G) sticks of RAM.

When I boot the computer using dual channel, it locks up shorty after reaching the desktop. When I run 2 of the sticks without dual channel, it runs fine. All 4 sticks work, i've tested each. It's only when I run them in dual channel mode that the PC crashes.

Another person with the same specs has the same problem here:
ECS NF650iSLIT-A dual channel not working - OCZ Forum

Bios: Default, the bios updates don't include a fix to this problem, so i'm not risking it. The bios only supports up to 1.95volts, the memory says it does 1.9-2.1v.

Questions:
1.) Is there a fix to this?
2.) If not, how do I run all 4 sticks, without running them in dual channel mode.
3.) How big of a disadvantage is it to not have dual channel enabled?

Wouldn't hurt to upgrade your BIOS to the latest version (even though it says it doesn't fix RAM problems) but it does sound as though your motherboard doesn't support this type of RAM

I had a different 650i board which I had major troubles getting a E8200 45nm cpu to work on, even after BIOS flash to get it working, it still had problems. I would go for a different board.

The motherboard is supposed to support dual channel memory. The other people with the same problem upgraded the bios and it did nothing, so I'm not risking it when I know it won't work.

If I put it for dual channel (memory in slot 1 and slot 3 or slot 2 and slot 4) the computer locks up.

If I put it in, one in slot 1, one in slot 2 (This doesn't let it do dual channel), it works fine.

Hello,

Have you upgraded to Vista SP1? This should help resolve your issue.

Cheers,
Mak

If I put in dual channel memory in all 4 slots, it locks up before POST, so the OS can't be the problem.

I don't understand how updating the OS can prevent a lockup before POST but I'll give it a shot.

Hello,

Check for a BIOS update. If running in Dual Channel stops it from POSTing then the BIOS is at fault.

Cheers,
Mak

I checked for a bios update, but there's two issues. The first is that the update itself is said to only fix an entirely unrelated bug, and the second is that it has the award bios flasher, and it says it's not an award bios and doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom