Upgrading an Old computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah I just got it in, I decided to just push down on the lever as hard as I could, despite the fact I thought I was going to break the processor, and it snapped into place, looks perfectly fine to me now. Now the monitor is registering with the computer :D

Howwever.. When it turns on, I hear one short beep, and a long message on the screen. Id go check out the message now and copy it for you guys, but a friend of mine just told me I hadnt put any thermal paste on my Processor, and it could overheat fast, so I dont want to take the risk.

So when I get the thermal paste, do I coat the entire processor with it? Or just one side? And once I get that done, what am I supposed to do about the screen that pops up when I turn on the comp?

Hmm well after a bit of tinkering around, I managed to get everything working, and started my windows installation, but then It told me there was no harddrive it could identify because I had forgotten to plug it back in, so I turn off my comp, plug everything back in, screw in my Mobo, and try to turn my comp back on, but now all it will do is turn on the PWR Led, and flicker the fans for a second or two. Then the fans turn off, and my Comp doesnt start. I was planning on getting the thermal paste later tonight, but could this just be an issue of my Processor overheating, and reactively shutting itself down?

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT try to run your computer without having the heatsink mounted with thermal paste. Your mobo should shut it down before it fries, but it is not worth the risk.

You may be grounding out against the case. Be sure you have all the standoffs mounted and that there is nothing between your mobo and the case.

Ah ****, Ive been playing around with my computer, turning it on and off, trying to fix the problem before I read this, could any major damage be done to the CPU now? And now when I take off the heatsink to look at the processor, there is a gray, gluelike substance in a circular shape on both the processor and the heatsink, does that mean that the heatsink came with thermal paste pre-applied? Or does it mean I F'd up my processor?

Odds are that yes,it came with a pad pre-applied. There would have been a plastic film over it that should have been removed prior to installation. That's probably what is on your CPU.

I doubt that you have done any damage to it, but I think you have just had a lesson you will never forget. ;)

Thermal paste is just that, paste. It will wipe off with a paper towel. If that doesn't, take your CPU out and gently scrape it off. Clean both the top of the CPU and the base of the cooler with paper towels, and then with alcohol and cotton swabs. Then you can apply new thermal paste and mount it.

Ah phew, thank god :) I guess I cant play with my new toy until I get that thermal paste then =/

But as to the whole the computer wont start up issue, I tried one last time taking the Mobo out, placing it on top of the foam stand that came with the mobo, and keeping only the essentials plugged in, and what I got was a short high whining sound, and then the same old fan powering down situation again. Is this most likely going to be a thermal paste issue? Now that the Mobo isn't in contact with any metal that could be shorting it.

Can you pinpoint the sound? That may shed some light on the issue.

Once you are ready, unhook everything from the mobo and try to boot with just the CPU and a stick of RAM.

Aright, well it looks like when I have my Graphics card plugged in, I hear the short squeal coming from the Heatsink/Cpu, and when I take the graphics card out, the fan starts up, then shuts back down, with no noise whatsoever.

I set up my Mobo connections like you instructed for these two tests

Edit: I just talked to my friend, and he wanted me to try a test with my HDD plugged in, so I plugged it in, and he told me to check the harddrive LED, and when I went to check it, it wasnt coming on, and Im positive I had my connections set up correctly. He thinks its either a problem with my HDD, or something just isnt connected right.

Now, if these two are my options, Im a little confused. When I was installing my OS, Everything except my HDD was installed, meaning everything was connected correctly. Then I turned of my PC and Installed my HDD, and thats when the problems started, so I removed my HDD, and the problems continued. With this being true, how could there be a connection problem when all I did was install / Remove the HDD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom