$1300 Gaming Rig (Advice needed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mufasa99

Solid State Member
Well, my old desktop has finally given up on me, and the motherboard is discontinued so I will not bother. I shall miss the P4 goodness. So recently, I've been attempting to build a new machine. I am somewhat of a hardcore gamer, mostly of fps games :p so I will need quite a bit of power to run more recent games smoothly. I'm just looking for a bit of advice, seeing that I am not all that up to date on the new stuff. Take a peak at my newegg wishlist here:

https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.aspx?ID=7017525

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 Kentsfield 2.66GHz
Mobo: ASUS P5N-D LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 750i SLI
RAM: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V
Graphics: XFX PVT98FYDBU GeForce 9800 GTX Black Edition 512MB
HDD: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB

From the looks of it, I will be getting an alienware case. I simply fell in love with it at first sight:

Alienware ALX Full Tower Silver PC Case 2.0 Chassis - eBay (item 380045348890 end time Jul-17-08 10:42:43 PDT)

I would greatly appreciate it if someone would recommend me an aftermarket cpu fan, and a vga cooler that would fit. I plan on ordering everything within the week so, comments, thoughts, and suggestions?

So you actually like the Alienware cases? I must say they aren't my thing, and you can get much bigger, better cases for the same price or much cheaper. But if that's the case you love, there's no amount of arguing that will change it :p

A good CPU fan would be the Xigmatek Rifle HDT-S1283. It does honorably and is only about $36 on NewEgg. Or for just a cheap and easy solution that still performs great, go with an Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro which I see you already had chosen.

this mobo:Newegg.com - EVGA 123-YW-E175-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 750i FTW SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

better CPU cooler:Newegg.com - HDT-RS1283 120mm CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks
(***btw, has anyone else noticed they changed it ?? it cost a little more, and looks different...and i'm pretty sure they changed what it's made of***)

go with this GPU if you want nVidia:Newegg.com - ZOTAC ZT-98XES2P-FSP GeForce 9800 GTX(G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

cheaper, and i think it's a little better...i could be wrong though lol but for $250 you could almost get the gtx260 for $300

The Xigmatek rifle looks like a good choice, and I will take the motherboard you recommended, wafflehammer, into consideration. I plan on eventually getting another 9800 so I can SLI, and I believe the Zotac 9800 is basically the exact same thing as the XFX 9800. I will go with the one that comes with a free copy of COD4 :p

i just went with the cheapest lol, didn't look for any good deals

but if you go SLI go with the 750I FTW because it gives 16x-16x sli, other 750i boards do not

better CPU cooler:Newegg.com - HDT-RS1283 120mm CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks
(***btw, has anyone else noticed they changed it ?? it cost a little more, and looks different...and i'm pretty sure they changed what it's made of***

They didn't change it. That's the new version known as Red Scorpion. The only difference is the red LED and a slower fan. It actually performs weaker than the S1283, but runs slightly quieter.

The REAL Xigmatek Rifle S1283:
Newegg.com - XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

They really need to make the retention bracket standard. It was 100000x easier to install than annoying push-pins.

EDIT: Mufasa, you do know that the Alienware case you are looking at is used and may have scratches and other blemishes? That is WAY overpriced for a used, weak case. I would recommend HIGHLY against it.

Yes, I am aware of that surge. It is a bit of a risk, but there is no other place I can get it. Upon reviewing the feedback, previous buyers have been moderately satisfied. I'm willing to take a gamble.

PLEASE NOTE! These towers are sold AS IS, may have cosmetic blemishes such as scratches or scuffs. However, IF you receive a case that you feel to be very badly damaged then we will consider an exchange. BUT that damage must be substantial (not just limited to a few scratches or scuffs)

No additional information or pictures will be given. Please do not ask us to pick out a particular case, that type of request will be denied.

All The products sold in the Alienware Outlet store are classified as "renewed."

for $200 plus $50 shipping, they don't give much service....Honestly, i do kind of like the cases..but if i was you i would find either a different case, or find a different place to buy the alienware case

EDIT: that card you want with CoD4 would be cheaper still if you go with the card i listed and bought CoD4 separate ....only by like $10 cheaper, but still lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom