Upgrading a 5 year old system with $500

Status
Not open for further replies.
AMD- uses HTT
Intel- uses FSB, its different, you can't compare them directly unless you compare the difference of the CPU's performance, in this case the e7200 is much better than a 6000+

Reason he chose it,
- he's an Intel fanboy and always recommends Intel
- but its the better performing CPU and overclocks tons better

so basically
his build is way better than mine in every aspect right?
sweeet!! im ordering ASAP!! xD thank you guys !!!

but can i still get an explanation why his motherbaord choice is better?
i want to learn! haha

His board is compatible with the Intel, yours is not, (actually I don't even know what board you have, your link doesn't work)

It overclocks well, has some nice features and owns for that price

Ahh 780g, good board, best integrated GPU out there, but it won't work with the 6000+ anyways, because of its 125TDP level

Get the motherboard I suggested with the CPU I suggested, because Intel CPU only works in the motherboard I suggested. You can't use Intel CPU on 780G motherboard

Upgrading my 5 year old system with $500 [PART 2]

Thanks to you folks and mysterious wizards from other forums, I found this build, and I like it very much!

BEHOLD! MY NEW BUILD!

CPU $130
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 Wolfdale 2.53GHz 3MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors

Motherboard $90
Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TForce TP43D2A7 LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Video card $75 (Why $75? I have a $15 off promo code x])
Newegg.com - EVGA 384-P3-N851-AR GeForce 8800 GS 384MB 192-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Case $35
Newegg.com - Rosewill R6423-P SL Silver SGCC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

RAM $35
Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum Revision 2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Hard Drive $50
Newegg.com - HITACHI Deskstar P7K500 HDP725032GLA360 (0A35411) 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

DVD burner $25
Newegg.com - LG Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 10X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache ATAPI / E-IDE Super Multi DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners

My concerns are very miniscule but I really want to go over them before I start ordering these babies.
Now, before you start judging my build, you probably should know that I want a system that is:
1. Quiet - I had to live with a monster-sounding computer for 5 years!
2. Reliable - Heat problems are a big no no.
3. Worth the money - Some overclocked versions of the same cards cost twice as much. I do not need these uber versions.

1) This is a $450 Intel Build. I could swap the CPU and Motherboard with the following to make a similar priced AMD build:
CPU
Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core Processor - Processors

Motherboard
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

Now to concern #2.
2) Is the case going to make alot of noise? I currently have a similar case as this Rosewill one, with reaer 80mm fan and side optional 80mm fan. I didn't really check my old system regularly for the heat it generated, but I never had any heat issues.
But I don't want the new parts I'm getting to be burnt up!
I was at first thinking about a Rosewill case with 120mm rear fan and 80mm optional side fan.
Any comments on cases? (BTW I already have a Thermaltake 500w power supply)

3. Heat problems are scary to me. My friend totally screwed himself when he basically burned his computer with improper cooling.
I want to have a decent cooling system with only fans that is not loud. Hopefully it will be almost not noticable.
I cannot get water cooling because of my budget.
Is 80mm rear and side fans (2 total) enough? Or should I get the case with 120mm rear fan? Looks like the case I linked above has more slots for side 80mm fans.
Also, is a heatsink a must?

Well, this concludes my long post.
I am very picky and cautious, as you can see, but that is because if i mess up this time, I won't get a new chance at a new computer. I will be so screwed.

Thanks for reading!
-Mikey

Re: Upgrading my 5 year old system with $500 [PART 2]

Lol I only recommend the best bang for the buck, and you seem to achieved it, the AMD will be louder and consumes more power

It'll be loud if you use the crappy stock cooler that Intel gives you with the e7200

Re: Upgrading my 5 year old system with $500 [PART 2]

Lol I only recommend the best bang for the buck, and you seem to achieved it, the AMD will be louder and consumes more power

It'll be loud if you use the crappy stock cooler that Intel gives you with the e7200

I know you do, but i just wanted to post one more time so people can have a look at it. xD

And for the noise, what is the solution?
My last system was built by my uncle when I was 11, so I have no idea how to fix the stock cooler problem... whatever that is... xP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom