New components are prone to static electricity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ric0h

Over and Above Person
When I took my computer for repair, they guy did not had a pci adapter, so he took out my 8800 GT and basicly touch the whole top part, and I asked him if that was okay, and he said that it is very rare for a new component to stop working because of static. Is that true? or does it only apply on the graphics card?

I've never discharged static on any of my components...and I handle them all over. Just ground yourself out before you touch any components (touch any unpainted metal surface to ground yourself out). I've worked on tons of computers, and just make sure to eitehr touch the case's metal, or the metal legs on the tables I work on.

Yeah I would say its pretty uncommon but it can definitely happen, best to take precautions with expensive kit. of all the hundred or so components i've worked with I guess i've seen about 3 fail because of static - at least that i could confidently say were due to static.

You really don't need an expensive kit or anything. Like Carnage said, just touch any large piece of metal and you are good. I've worked on computers even in carpeted areas with just socks on back in my old bedroom days, and NEVER had troubles with static.

Large steel cases work fine, or you could touch like a screw on the power outlet (yes thats safe)

But he's lying

The guy who said that the newer parts completely immune to Static

(btw your thread name is contradicting)

You really don't need an expensive kit or anything. Like Carnage said, just touch any large piece of metal and you are good. I've worked on computers even in carpeted areas with just socks on back in my old bedroom days, and NEVER had troubles with static.

Hmm, I think you misunderstand me, I wasn't advocating using expensive anti-static kit I was saying its best to take precautions when you're working on expensive computer kit.

Yeah, I've never made a serious effort to ground myself, and the only static that I've unloaded on my computers is Static-X. And I've never Frank Zappa'd any of them either.

I'll uhh... I'll just stop there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom