Potential Purchase... Quick Question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

myowngod

In Runtime
Hey guys - first time here - I thought I would do a tiny bit of asking around before buying something this expensive 2nd hand...

I'm not a hardcore gamer, but definitely moderate to higher end on the time i spend playing. I had been getting by on my XPS laptop until I could afford a decent desktop - and this computer popped up on craigslist locally...

Computer Specs:

Case: Cooler Master Stacker 830 Evo (Black with Blue LED fans. It has a total of 7 120mm fans for excellant cooling)
Power: CM Real Power Pro 1000watt Power Supply
Motherboard: NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI
Processor: Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 3.0GHZ Quad Core
RAM: 4GB of Corsair Dominator series (PC2 8500)
Hard Drive(s) (3 total): TWO 150GB 10,000 RPM Raptor SATA drives (currently in Raid-0) + an additional 750GB 7200 RPM Sata drive (for storage)
Video: GeFroce 8800GTX 768mb
Sound: Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Platinum Champion Series (7.1)
DVD Drive: CD/DVD R/RW Drive (with Lightscribe technology)

He said he will take 1750 for the tower, a 20 or 21" lcd (dont remember off the top of my head) - and the eclipse keyboard.. some kinda mouse.. (dont remember either)..

I was trying to figure out if this was worth the money... or if its even a good build (want one with potential to upgrade) - as some of the parts are pretty high end.. but I don't know enough myself to sink the money into it without asking people who know more than I do...

Is it worth it? given she's in good shape and clean and all... I don't think I could duplicate the build for under 2500 new?

Any ideas/suggestions welcome.. Thanks in advance...

Case: Cooler Master Stacker 830 Evo (Black with Blue LED fans. It has a total of 7 120mm fans for excellant cooling)

~$250

~$250

~$300

~$275

Hard Drive(s) (3 total): TWO 150GB 10,000 RPM Raptor SATA drives (currently in Raid-0) + an additional 750GB 7200 RPM Sata drive (for storage)
~$175*2 + ~$100

~$400 (Though not worth it, its only overpriced because those cards are a ***** to make. You can get a WAY better 4870 for $300.

who cares....

bleh..

monitor and other stuff are too vague to know the price.

you would be able to duplicate and make a better build for about $1000 now.

I've pulled apart and changed out alot on my old towers.. but I don't know if i trust myself to build my own just yet - (although I was planning to) - when this came up for sale - it peaked my interest since I was looking to do a nvidia/stacker based build anyway... but I was going to read up on it all before building.. haven't had a chance to research enough to know if this pre-built one is worth it...

~$250

~$250

~$300

~$275

~$175*2 + ~$100

~$400 (Though not worth it, its only overpriced because those cards are a ***** to make. You can get a WAY better 4870 for $300.

who cares....

bleh..

monitor and other stuff are too vague to know the price.

you would be able to duplicate and make a better build for about $1000 now.

Sounds like I'd be better off spending ~1500 on building my own then???
Perhaps its time to start researching and choosing parts...

EDIT: Having a hard time finding that processor for 300... lists for 1000 on newegg.... ??? am i missing something?

Im having a hard time pricing a similar build at ~1000

Is the extreme worth the money - or could I just OC a lesser Quadcore and see similar results?

Extreme's are crap performance ratio...

You can do OC it to that speed easily, but you won't have unlocked multipliers

He's overpriced that thing like mad

Go with this for 1.4k and better in performance:

NZXT Tempest
Core 2 Quad Q6600
Corsair 750tx
HD 4870 Crossfire Configuration (or get one HD 4870 right now, and an HD 4870X2 when it comes out for Tri-Crossfire)
Asus P5Q Pro
4gb G-Skill DDR2 800 (navy blue ones) or the Patriot Viper 4gb
Raptors are pretty much crap, get the Western Digital 640gb instead

thats a graet price... if it were me... i'd buy it.. simply because the qx9650 almost consumes that whole price :p

but you could definitely build something for ALOT cheaper, and you'd still max out games..

so if ur not a crazy benchmarker or anything.. then just let it go

i said most of it....1100/1750 is good enough to be considered most for me lol

the point is a Q6600 build with those type of parts would cost around $1500ish ...so that build with a $1100 CPU is a good deal

I guess... I still wouldn't buy it because of the dated GPU, unless he buys it, sells it part by part for a profit, then buys his build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom