Want new mobo...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazeD

Fully Optimized
Birthday is coming up, so I'll be getting some spare cash. I was thinking about getting a new mobo, to maybe help with my overclocking, and to give me support for the new 45nm quads from AMD.

Which leads me to my first question... will the 45nm chips use the existing AM2+ socket design, or will they make another socket like they usually do?

I want a mobo that has superb overclockability. I know for Intel, the Gigabyte DS3 does quite well, and they have an AMD version too.

This is the Gigabyte DS3: Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-MA770-DS3 AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX All Solid Capacitor AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

It's only got one PCIe, and I'd kind of like to have CF support, so I was thinking the DS4: Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-DS4 AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX Ultra Durable II AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

How's that DS4 do? Anybody got any experience with it?

I haven't been keeping real up-to-date on new motherboards and such, so I'm not really sure what is good at the moment. Also, I haven't heard any news on what socket the 45nm will use ... not sure if anyone has, it'd be good to know though.

I know someone with that DFI board and she's had quite a few memory problems.

I have the K9A and find it quite lacking for overclocking options. Does the K9A2 make up for that?

EDIT: And no, I'm not set on AMD. I'm still contemplating. I would rather support AMD, but Intel is tempting.

AMD is cheaper so I'll probably end up going with that.

Also, slightly unrelated, how do the Phenoms (specifically, Agena) overclock?

Not well man, I say you should wait for the other 45nm Phenoms coming out soon

(also the board you have and the board I posted is different, the K9A2 Platinum)

It should, but honestly looking at your signature, I don't think you can go much further (maybe like 200 to 300 mhz more) even with a better board.

Maybe you should consider upgrading the CPU and Board to an Intel or something.

Perhaps... so **** expensive though...

I guess I'll wait till the 45nm's come out and then see if they are respectable or not.

Any ideas when they come out?

i loved the k9a plat oc'ing features... i thought it was a sick board. and yeah the k9a2platinum is a phenominal board, but i think the lanparty beats it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom