512mb graphics? maybe . . . 1024?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah doom3 on all ultra settings is said to require a 512mb card really otherwise you'll experience lag spikes. They also said that theres a 'secret' way of getting the resolution past 1600x1280(?) up to like 2034x1600 or something like that and with that high ass resolution with everything on ultra and aa and all that good shit was absolutely amazing and that even ID software developers were amazed to see it like that. But yeah...512mb = :drool: but still even the 128mb 6800 card will own for atleast a couple years to come =)

The next card I will get will definately be Nvidia. After my experience with the X800 Pro, I have to say that ATI sucks. I will probably wait for the 1GB cards to become mainstream, then upgrade.

I can't imagine a 1gb card. the 6800 card is the creation of 2 years of work and they are already working on the next card thats 2 years ahead. How much faster can they get though with current technology being that look how damn big the heatsinks and fan on the new cards are. Heats becoming quite the issue now-a-days but along with that in the 6800 and X800 case is size =/

Well more tech comes better tech. They are working on a non conductive and non erosive liquid that you can fill your pc (special case) with and that'll cool it down. Of course this liquide leaks into things so it is far off as of now...

jolancer said:
is it not possbile for them to just make a ddr dimm slot on the card, so u can put in as much ram as u like, be it 256/512, or 1gig

Of course it's possible, but the fact is.. they want your money... They don't want you buying a 64mb card and putting in 256mb of ram... another thing is that.. they put the amount of ram on the card that it'll use, there's no point in having 256mb on a geforce 2 card ya know.. last is that they don't want to make it take up room on the next pci slot.. it's supposed to fit in the agp area, although they're tending to get HUUUGE...

3D-Labs makes some awsome high-end cards. We got a couple of $1400 dual-chip cards here at the office for CAD work and modeling.

If you do serious graphics work, there are companies (like 3D-Labs and ATI) who will build you a powerful card. In reality, the cards coming out to our desktops today (such as the x800 and 6800) are "mainstream" cards. No one at Pixar, ILM, MGM, etc, is using a x800 for work! Those people would rather blow up a maseratii than their boxes.

exactly! it was stated who would use such cards when I mentioned the wildcat and oxygen cards and that the wildcat line must be cheap. My reply is, no these cards are actually MUCH better as they are used for professional graphics apps., but also (as you stated) are VERY expensive. case in point, high end oxygen cards run about $1200. they are not for the average home user, and THAT is why you have not heard of them but in graphics and professional video design, they are known.

I heard about one of those graphics cards that's in the $1k+ range for professional stuff. I heard it wasn't very great for gaming though, which may or may not apply to similar cards.

your probably right on that. they're not meant for that kind of apps., but I can't really say out of experience. but to say they are unknowns and cheap cards... heh, found it amusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom