watercooling

Status
Not open for further replies.
And you could get more then 400mhz with W/C, I know i could, I'm just lazy and don't want to go higher just yet. You can get alot more then 400mhz if your willing to go over 1.5v's on 65nm chips too.

Point out someone here thats comfortable w/ running over 1.55-1.6v daily on their quad. At some point even if temps are low your still running high voltage. Sure you can run higher at the cost of your cpu. Run it @ 1.6v if you want. I have but I won't do it daily. Which is what I'm talking about. Let's say you want to run 4.1ghz. Your voltage is going to be up there, plus thats not an easy feat either to oc a quad.

I dont even really care to run 1.55 for suicide runs, much less 1.6 for daily use. Anything past 3.6ghz for daily usage is pretty much pointless anyway.

Even if you have a 45nm, you can always clock it higher with w/c, it's not just an expensive toy to play around with.

On xs, when they say w/c doesn't help the 45nm, do they mean that at the recommended voltages it doesn't matter, because that I can understand? Or are they really saying when you put the heavy duty voltage through your cpu that W/C is not going to help at all? Because that is bs. I ALMOST could of gotten as high a clock on the recommended voltages with my tuniq on my 65nm cpu that I could of gotten with my w/c. But once you go past recommended, thats when you see the real fun of it. Doesn't matter if it's a 45nm.

ah, my friend...but it DOES matter that it is a 45nm....
lol at the cheese grater.
you cant always (usually NOT) clock higher with water witht he 45nm, and this is (supposedly) why...
in answer to your questions:
1) no, they dont mean recommended voltages, because...
2) when you put high voltage through a 65nm cpu, you use water to dissipate the heat better, NOT the voltage, and...
3) with a 45nm cpu, the HEAT isn't the problem, the VOLTAGE is the problem. ie you can run 1.4V through it (above absolute max recommended, which is like 1.365 or something), but the heat probably wont go past 60ish *C most likely. BUT, you CANT run 1.5V-1.6V (the more you use the quicker it happens) through it because you will fry the chip, even though the temps dont go past the max of 72*C. they dont need watercooling because even at the highest voltage you can run through it without damaging the chip...it still wont generate enough heat to be a problem, while on the other hand, the 65nm chips can run lots of volts as long as you have a good cooling setup. the 45nm chips are quite a bit more fragile than the 65nm chips when it comes to voltage.
does that make sense?

Point out someone here thats comfortable w/ running over 1.55-1.6v daily on their quad. At some point even if temps are low your still running high voltage. Sure you can run higher at the cost of your cpu. Run it @ 1.6v if you want. I have but I won't do it daily. Which is what I'm talking about. Let's say you want to run 4.1ghz. Your voltage is going to be up there, plus thats not an easy feat either to oc a quad.
You can see at least 5 people on XS who are just water cooling... not any other cooling, and feel comfortable doing it. Personally I don't for veedubs reason.
I dont even really care to run 1.55 for suicide runs, much less 1.6 for daily use. Anything past 3.6ghz for daily usage is pretty much pointless anyway.
Ya, because 4ghz is not really going to give me much more fps and it's not like I need even a quad or even a 3ghz quad. But it's still fun to have 4.2ghz daily.

ah, my friend...but it DOES matter that it is a 45nm....
lol at the cheese grater.
you cant always (usually NOT) clock higher with water witht he 45nm, and this is (supposedly) why...
in answer to your questions:
1) no, they dont mean recommended voltages, because...
2) when you put high voltage through a 65nm cpu, you use water to dissipate the heat better, NOT the voltage, and...
3) with a 45nm cpu, the HEAT isn't the problem, the VOLTAGE is the problem. ie you can run 1.4V through it (above absolute max recommended, which is like 1.365 or something), but the heat probably wont go past 60ish *C most likely. BUT, you CANT run 1.5V-1.6V (the more you use the quicker it happens) through it because you will fry the chip, even though the temps dont go past the max of 72*C. they dont need watercooling because even at the highest voltage you can run through it without damaging the chip...it still wont generate enough heat to be a problem, while on the other hand, the 65nm chips can run lots of volts as long as you have a good cooling setup. the 45nm chips are quite a bit more fragile than the 65nm chips when it comes to voltage.
does that make sense?

It makes sense, but from that explanation the people who get 6ghz with ln2 should just be using water cooling for the cpu at least...... Thats what doesn't make sense. I understand that 45nm chips do indeed need less voltage and that 45nm's can fry easier. But then how are these guys getting 5.06 ghz with ln2 if it's the temps that don't matter?

ln2 is a whole 'nother ball game. i did read about it somewhat, but not really...it was actually brought up in some of the topics discussed. maybe because it gets SO cold...? i dunno. but water seems to have little effect on the overclock-ability of the chips, that seems to be the general concensus anyways.
plus using ln2 for those types of overclocks have got to be just like wham bam thank you ma'am heres my screenie and benchmarks and thats about it. there would be SERIOUS degradation issues running a 45nm that high. lol...they probably have to run 1.5V for stock speed after an ln2 run like that :)

nahh, plenty of peeps on XS that are running used LN2 ran qx9650's and 9770's

i don't think there's gonna be much degredation when ur cpu is at -150c...

**sad face**--I've decided to hold off my water cooling for another month or 2. I'm just gonna pick up a rifle for the time being. I was majorly discouraged about getting water cooling from an article i read, i will get it eventually probably (i hope atleast)

yeah but who is going to run an e8400 at 1.7V with liquid nitrogen cooling 24/7?
answer: nobody.
that voltage would damage it if run for any length of time, i reckon.
i could be wrong...but i aint gonna be the guinea pig that finds out lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom