watercooling

Status
Not open for further replies.
thats what I thought also. Idle theres not a big difference but when it's under load is where water really comes in handy. I wanted to do water myself but I'm not sold on price/performance

edit. Veedub w/ the new p45's I dont think that'll be a factor anymore. It's amazing to see low end p45's doing 600fsb

yeah but they are running 6 multipliers, aren't they? so the actual fsb is overclocked A LOT...but the overall core speed of the chip itself not so much. i would be pretty shocked to see a 600 x 9 rig :) me wants....
i can get mine up at 500 x 8, but i want to tweak with a 9 multi before i start jacking around with running a super high FSB. that requires A LOT of NB voltage and it is very stressfull on the cpu itself. i have also been reading that over 1.45 NB is causing some major degradation problems in short amounts of time with the 45nm.
nos, thats what i'm saying...on a q6600 or an AMD chip, water makes a big difference. and v-dubb summed it up for me, the overclock limitaiton of the 45nm is the chip, not the heat. they stay under 60-65*C pretty much up to 1.5V+ and if you run more than 1.45V thru them for ANY amount of time (like...longer than a superpi run lol), you are asking for trouble.
3rdshift, i'll stick with air for now. i am fine tuning ATM, 3.85 w/ 1.3125V stable stable stable...max load temp is about 57*C...average load is about 54* (and its 100* F here in TX hooray summer). idle temp is a joke.

I was just saying that the mobo is not really that much of the limiting factor anymore when they're hitting 600fsb. Now getting a cpu to do that is a totally different story. I hear ya about air. For me its not worth it atm. $100 to aircool/$300 to wc for a measily 400mhz.....no thanks

And it looks cool.

Idk wat ur talking about.... tuniq is up there for air cooler and I had quite a few yate loons in my case and even some extra fans in my case with decent wire managment (at least good enough not to mess with airflow), and my temps are SOOOO much better. Infact, I've noticed that now that my radiator is on the back of my case and I don't have a gigantic tuniq leaking off heat, my gpu temps have gone down, ROFL! sometimes by 10C's from what it used to be. When playing css for an hour before with my tuniq my 8800gt used to get 60C's on a decent OC. With the same OC it's now 50C's after an hour. And while idle, or while not playing any games, It just stays at 36-40C's alllll the time.

But still, at 3.6ghz on my q6600, I idle around 36-39c's. I need to check the temps after I'm done bleeding today without the kink. Hopefully they are better, instead of worse because of the 90 degree barbs.

And you could get more then 400mhz with W/C, I know i could, I'm just lazy and don't want to go higher just yet. You can get alot more then 400mhz if your willing to go over 1.5v's on 65nm chips too.

I still need to decide how i want to set everything up in my case. 2 320mm rads are going to make for some interesting heat exchanging.

lol...drizzt...read c'mon man....i said watercooling has a great effect on 60nm chips BUT NOT ON 45NM..!
i know it lowers the temps of a q6600 dramatically(which is why i was going to get some while i had a q6600). but on the 45nm, heat isn't an issue. i have my chip testing at 3.9 w/ 1.325 and there is virtually NO temp difference between that and running 3.0 w/ 1.15V. i mean...like hardly ANY difference. i dont think that watercooling would drop the idle/load temps enough to justify the purchase. from what i am reading, we're talking 2-5*C @ load, and whats the point of that if my chip already runs a max OC under 60*C?
the only reason i would buy it for THIS chip is like v-dubb says...to give me another toy. as if i dont have enough lol.

lol...drizzt...read c'mon man....i said watercooling has a great effect on 60nm chips BUT NOT ON 45NM..!
i know it lowers the temps of a q6600 dramatically(which is why i was going to get some while i had a q6600). but on the 45nm, heat isn't an issue. i have my chip testing at 3.9 w/ 1.325 and there is virtually NO temp difference between that and running 3.0 w/ 1.15V. i mean...like hardly ANY difference. i dont think that watercooling would drop the idle/load temps enough to justify the purchase. from what i am reading, we're talking 2-5*C @ load, and whats the point of that if my chip already runs a max OC under 60*C?
the only reason i would buy it for THIS chip is like v-dubb says...to give me another toy. as if i dont have enough lol.
I did read, I was responding mostly to the "$300 for only 400mhz OC".

Even if you have a 45nm, you can always clock it higher with w/c, it's not just an expensive toy to play around with. And unlike most cpu heatsinks you can use this over and over with each new rig you build. Also it's usually quiter then a heatsink. And in some cases like mine, It takes up less space since you don't have one of these sticking out off your mobo.
345px-cheese_grater.jpg

LOL

On xs, when they say w/c doesn't help the 45nm, do they mean that at the recommended voltages it doesn't matter, because that I can understand? Or are they really saying when you put the heavy duty voltage through your cpu that W/C is not going to help at all? Because that is bs. I ALMOST could of gotten as high a clock on the recommended voltages with my tuniq on my 65nm cpu that I could of gotten with my w/c. But once you go past recommended, thats when you see the real fun of it. Doesn't matter if it's a 45nm.

Ya, i'm sticking with my 6600 until nehalem comes out.

Same, I'm thinking about a whole new rig once it comes out. And if the x58 does support sli and crossfire then I know which mobo I can get and then have many options. So ddr3, water cooled nehalem, and 1 single good card is what I'm looking at when the time comes.

oh, maybe a 45nm phenom if they are any good... but I'm not doing any fan boy crap if it ends up being a pile of donkey stuff compared to the nehalem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom