Grounding myself before install video card

Status
Not open for further replies.

markflame

Solid State Member
how do i ground myself when installing a video card, can i just wear rubber gloves or shoes or a hazmat suit?!?!

well the cheap way is to just touch the power supply or any metal part of the case to discharge yourself so you dont have any nasty static electricity charged up in your body...

or you can buy a static strap which you connect to your wrist and connect the other metal end to a part of the metal on the case.

turn off your computer, unplug it, and hit the power button to drain any power from the capacitors and you'll be fine.

Like everyone is saying, turn off the power, and let it sit for a second.

What I do is turn it off, unplug it and let is sit for a few minutes. Before touching ANYTHING, I make sure I'm holding a metal part of the case to discharge any static electricity I may or may not have built up.

It's a good practice. :D

Touching it just once should be fine, but if you get up and do something else like for example walk across a carpet, when you come back discharge yourself again. Static electricity has a very high amount of voltage believe or not, and can fry very sensitive computer chips that are very vulnerable to high voltage spikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom