Laptop for college

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would recommmend a Dell laptop. I have been working on laptops for over 2 years (about 10 a day). I never used to be a fan of Dell laptops, but since I started working on them I find that more times than any other laptops if something goes bad it can be fixed. I have seen way too many hp and ibm laptops scraped. The fail rate on them also seems to be alot lower. For the price you can get double what anyone else offers for them too. Dell Vostro 1000 Laptop Product Details check out the vostro 1000 productivity pack. 256MB video for your games and 2GB RAM. It also has a 15.4" instead of a 14.1".

Yeah it looks really solid. What do you plan on doing with it?

Well whatever I need to do for college (and I have no idea what yet, computer programming once I get the basics out of the way), some gaming (WOW, Oblivion perhaps, old games that any computer can play, nothing too fancy).

And thanks for the response ngreenwood but Dell has left a bad taste in my mouth. My parent's have had a couple Dell desktops in the past and they were absolute garbage. Though the last time they bought a computer from them was in 2005, not sure if they've gotten any better.

all dell desktops are epic fail, the notebooks are superb, buy one, there great 'bang for buck' and would do for what you need and will also get 30+ fps in wow, which is playable

Well whatever I need to do for college (and I have no idea what yet, computer programming once I get the basics out of the way), some gaming (WOW, Oblivion perhaps, old games that any computer can play, nothing too fancy).

And thanks for the response ngreenwood but Dell has left a bad taste in my mouth. My parent's have had a couple Dell desktops in the past and they were absolute garbage. Though the last time they bought a computer from them was in 2005, not sure if they've gotten any better.

Don't quote me on this but that HP laptop would struggle with Oblivion on low settings.

My friends both got smaller Dell laptops (14"). Those little laptops are actually pretty nice, you can get a good 1.8-2.0GHz dual core CPU and 8400M GS graphics on them and they're still pretty cheap.

I have an HP, but it's a big one (my new college laptop is my HP dv9700t 17" laptop with 2.5GHz T9300 and 8600M GS). HP makes nice laptops too.

Two hours is definitely not very good. In a year or so that battery will probably last under an hour. Personally, I would keep looking as most now-a-days are in the 5 hour range.

all dell desktops are epic fail, the notebooks are superb, buy one, there great 'bang for buck' and would do for what you need and will also get 30+ fps in wow, which is playable

I beg to differ. I have an old Dell laptop sitting in my basement, and we had nothing but problems with it. I think we went through 3 hard drives, if not more, and I don't even recall the other problems with it now. It's been a few years.

I'm sticking a new hard drive in it, maybe the 2 gigs of RAM that's coming in my new laptop, and selling the Dell off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom