Possible to upgrade laptop component?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPlanck

Beta member
I own an HP dv9812us notebook.
In short, the video card does not cut it for even the simplest of games. I installed diablo 2 thinking it was a game created years ago and it should run smooth, but it still runs like crap on this system.

I wasn't expecting a major gaming platform, but not being able to play games that were made 6 years ago is ridiculous.

Is it possible to upgrade this component or otherwise make it run better?
-JP

Check the RAM. Usually that is what manf. short you on, so if you have only 512 mb or RAM you don't be able to do much. I would first check your system to see how much you have. Then check the manf. website to see what the maximum is for your system.

Try that first, cheapest way to upgrade your system. Then from there we can double check your options.

I work on laptops everyday and that laptop does not have a video card in it. The video is built onto the motherboard. Like lexluethar said you should check your ram and see what you have available and check the requirements of diablo 2. Blizzard Entertainment

I work on laptops everyday and that laptop does not have a video card in it. The video is built onto the motherboard. Like lexluethar said you should check your ram and see what you have available and check the requirements of diablo 2. Blizzard Entertainment
Which brings up the other option - you can upgrade your laptop, but usually most components are built into the motherboard, and most motherboards are tailor fitted to that specific models case enclosure. So while it is possible to upgrade 9 times out of 10 (with the exception of RAM) upgrading a laptop isn't economical and should just be replaced.

I have a dv9000 as well and was able to get an Nvidia GeForce 8600M GS in mine, a very competent card capable of everything but maybe Crysis. If yours is an older model (mine's a dv9700t, brand new Core 2 Duo system), it may not have dedicated graphics, but the only options when I got mine were 8400M GS or 8600M GS. What graphics card does yours have, as it may need drivers and such?

According to HP's site you should have a geforce go 7150m, on par with every other integrated notebook gpu. No reason you shouldn't be able to run low end games fine, I think the problem may be another culprit. Have you updated/patched Diablo 2 properly? And what exactly is the performance issue you're hitting? It could be related to outdated game version, not enough free memory, or just a fragmented hard drive. New video drivers could also help although this may not even be video related.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom