Worklog: "Spirit of the Dragon and the Tiger"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice, love the videos...i've been shopping for a manual milling machine but those CNC mills are things of beauty, too bad my wife won't let me re-mortgage the house to get one :p

You could start a side line business and write it off as an expense.

that mill rocks.
mudhoney does too. i used to see them play on the back of a flatbed trailer in san marcos, texas.

Awesome! great band, inspired lots of other bands.

This is the first draft by Mnpctech graphics guy, Geoff for a 240mm machined aluminum fan grill on the left side panel

bruce_lee_casemod9g1z.jpg

You could start a side line business and write it off as an expense.

Oh trust me, I've used every argument in book, tried every angle but at the end of the day multiple student loans, car loans, mortgage etc... wins out over my desire for some really cool tools :p

That and with only a single car garage I don't have much room for large equipment. But a guy can dream, ah to have a cnc mill and a waterjet....

:::drooling:::

no doubt :D

With so many cool design themes revolving around the martial arts, I'm predicting this project having the most detailed custom paint job yet.

I received the Sony Optiarc Optical drive. (parked next to Ultra PSU)

First, heres how I remove and prep the plastic drive faceplate for paint (custom paint later)
1casemodblog.paintcddvdromdrive1.jpg

To remove the drive faceplate, connect the drive to power temporarily to open drive, then disconnet power.
1casemodblog.paintcddvdromdrive2.jpg

To remove the faceplate on the drawer, gently pull the faceplate out and downward to clear these two tabs
1casemodblog.paintcddvdromdrive3.jpg

1casemodblog.paintcdvdromdrive3a.jpg

You'll need a flathead screwdriver to push in the plastic tabs on both side of the drive and one on the top
1casemodblog.paintcddvdromdrive3b.jpg

1casemodblog.paintcddvdromdrive3c.jpg

Optical drive faceplate removed.
1casemodblog.paintcddvdromdrive3d.jpg

The clear LED lense is glued on by the factory. Gently pry it off with flathead screw driver.
1casemodblog.paintcddvdromdrive3e.jpg

You will need to glue this lense back on later. I usually tape these onto the drive so I don;'t lose them.
1casemodblog.paintcddvdromdrive3f.jpg

Typical of most optical drives, a corse plastic surface. I want to sand this smooth, for a better gloss shine and finish.
I also don't need to read these raised logo descriptions.
1casemodblog.paintcddvdromdrive3g.jpg

Using Black & Decker Mouse Sander with Medium Grit sandpaper attachment to remove logos & smooth corse plastic
1casemodblog.paintcdvdromdrive3h.jpg

The surface should look like this after sanding...
1casemodblog.paintcddvdromdrive3i.jpg

Now you're ready to paint your drive face. We're saving ours for later when we paint the entire case, but you can go forward on your own and paint your drive faceplate using either of these products

Option 1 (Easy)

KRYLON "FUSION" Vinyl Dye for painting plastic

Option 2

First apply automotive "Flexible Primer" for plastic, then your final color coat of either a Laquer or Enamel Automotive paint

Plastikote brand Flexible Primer
PFgrll9f.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom