E8400 Compared to E7200

Status
Not open for further replies.
You'd need a good Quad there.. but not for old games...

well what do you think I should do? ...I'm sure old games will run fine on the quad...just I'll get lower FPS(Which is kind of a big deal...but at the same time I don't care).

So you think the q6600 is the way to go?

I'd go Quad.... FPS doesn't really matter to me unless its the difference between smooth and unsmooth FPS

running on only 2 cores with old games will still get you enough frames anyway. i would also go quad especially for video editing, i do some myself and having a quad is heavily beneficial when rendering your video in 1080p in vegas.

Man, just spend some mo money and get the Q9450! I am telling you that this Quad devastates the Q6600/Q6700 and they can be had for just over $300! I took my E8400 and put it on Ebay after buying and running this monster! OMG! I have a Koolance and it runs at 3.8ghz an loads at 56 degrees C!!

People really need to stop using the term "its better for gaming". How many people actually only have a single program open at any given time? A quad is going to allow you to run ALL games better because it allows the operating system, virus scanner, and miscellanious other programs that 99% of people have running in the background to not affect the game. Even if the game only uses 1 core, that means the other programs only have 1 core to use for their junk. If you have a quad core, then its almost guaranteed that you will get at least 1 dedicated core for that game.

People really need to stop using the term "its better for gaming". How many people actually only have a single program open at any given time? A quad is going to allow you to run ALL games better because it allows the operating system, virus scanner, and miscellanious other programs that 99% of people have running in the background to not affect the game. Even if the game only uses 1 core, that means the other programs only have 1 core to use for their junk. If you have a quad core, then its almost guaranteed that you will get at least 1 dedicated core for that game.

Good points. + with what Rico said, quads are getting cheaper every month basically...price drops are suppose to occur near the end of this month bringing the Q9550 (2.83ghz stock) down to the price of the Q9450 ($300) and it has a multiplier of 8.5x so it should be a decent OC'er.

I'd still go with the 7200>8400, both could hit high clocks so the extra cache wouldn't matter to much in the end. But I would still go with a quad over either. Why buy a duel for $200 when you can get a quad for the same price? It's basically buy 2 get 2 free :D

Ya, I've said that at the beginning about the e7200... (about screw the e8400, and if you can afford an e8400 you go Quads...)

Eh.. I don't get listened to... I guess being 15 years old makes your advice not listened to :(

I actually did listen, and I got a q6600. :freak:

Ordered today.

Hopefully (For the 5th refund)...no broken parts.

I have a QX6700 and i feel like i got the lemon of the bunch, i am hoping to sell it on ebay for $500 and get a cheaper chipset with better performance.
I still dont get the unlocked multiplier the extreme version has, it seems to me like a standard quad out of the box meaning its decent if you do overclock it which was never my intentions(but it was the first quad out so meh).

So i am too trying to figure out if i should go with a Q6600 or a E8400 but then the only older games i play is WOW,crysis,BF2 and the total war strategy games im really hoping that empires total war is going to be optimized for a quad core but i have my doubts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom