Laptop for college

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkMassacre

In Runtime
Well I'll be going to college soon and would like to get a laptop to make my life easier there. Also just because it's time for a laptop. I'm not sure what to look for in laptops so some help would be appreciated. I'll mainly be using it for college and general messing around of on the internet, listening to music, watching videos and all that guff. I won't be gaming on it a whole lot, probably WOW but nothing intensive, that's what desktops are for.I have about a thousand dollars I can spend on a laptop.

i would recommend a macbook only because they are super nice looking, have great performance and an extremely nice OS. Probably would be tough to get a nicely configured macbook for under $1000, but you could do it, especially with an educational discount.

One thing to look into is talk to your college and see if they have any discounts or deals going with different companies as far as buying computers goes.

Also look at the Dell Vostro line, I've heard loads of good things about them.

I don't really want a mac, mainly because of expense. I mean for 1000 dollars I could probably get a Windows laptop with better specs than a macbook. I'm also going to install Linux on it as well and use that as my main OS. I only want Windows on there so I can play some games and use Windows only programs when/if I ever need to.

Hello,

Dell and Compaq are probably gonna be your best results. There are also some good ones by Levono as well.

Cheers,
Mak

Had absolutely awesome experiences with my HP laptops. My girlfriend, and 5 of my friends have all since bought HP laptops. Good software, minimal "junk" software preloaded, nice looking, thin, and have great prices and performance. Also, HP includes some very useful software!

Thinkpads are great if you want a business class laptop that is more rugged and durable than anything I've ever used.

But if that's all you want to do with your laptop, don't bother spending all $1000 dollars on it.

My old Thinkpad is solid as a rock, even after 8 years (got it used, but it was made in 1999-2000). My new HP is really nice (dv9700t) but it cost upwards of 1800 dollars. You can get a dv9700z (AMD instead of Intel) for under $1000 if you customize it right, the dv9700 series have 17" screens, good processors, and decent (8400M or 8600M) graphics.

I agree with Linux, you can do most stuff on it besides gaming and it runs quickly even on my old Thinkpad (Pentium 3 850MHz, 512MB RAM)...using it right now, actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom