Help me turn my computer on

Status
Not open for further replies.

pengyou

Baseband Member
I have seen several computer utilities that will automatically turn a computer off. Is there a utility that will automatically turn it on? I want my computer to turn on at 4 in the morning while I am still in dreamland, download my antivirus updates, do a complete scan and then download emails, etc.....would be nice if it could make my coffee too, so that when I get up at 6 a.m. everything is all good to go.

Is there such a program?

Not to my knowledge, why not just leave it on with the monitor switched off. I do that 90% off the time with no ill effects on my hardware.

Hello,

If you want it to turn on from a cold boot. No. the PC has nothing working at that time and there is no way to just wake it from a cold boot, log you in and do these actions. You would haev to leave your PC in standby or hibernate to be able to accomplish these tasks.

Cheers,
Mak

Agreed, there are no timers for this use. But let me ask you, why haven't they come up with one? I mean seriously, they have other products that will turn on when there is electricity, so why can't you make a switch that will boot up your computer when a timer goes off? I think that would be a great thing to have.

Found it: How to Automatically Turn on a Computer at a Specified Time - wikiHow

Haven't read all the way through, but seems simple enough.

Isn't there a setting in the BIOS to wake on alarm, I believe its called? Can't you set it at a certain time from that, or am I thinking wrong on that one. Not entirely for sure, because I've never used that function of the BIOS before.

Isn't there a setting in the BIOS to wake on alarm, I believe its called? Can't you set it at a certain time from that, or am I thinking wrong on that one. Not entirely for sure, because I've never used that function of the BIOS before.
No go on that one. You have to trip the circut to create power to the computer, the bios (software) can't do that, if physically has to be done.

Ah, ok, I see. Thanks for the clarification, Lex. What's the wake on alarm function for then? Never really was sure what it was for, exactly.

I have my computer set to turn on at 8:30 every morning. I'm running vista ultimate, but I can't remember how I set it to do that, I'll check when I'm next on my computer (upstairs pc atm).
So yes, there's definitely a way to automatically start your computer.

EDIT: <Snipped>, can't find how I did it yet. Is there any way to log what's happening?

Found it: How to Automatically Turn on a Computer at a Specified Time - wikiHow

Haven't read all the way through, but seems simple enough.
That's a great idea. I was thinking about the possibility of using a timer, but I hadn't figured out how to bypass the power button yet. But it's slightly easier than what they said. You can buy timers that you can plug something into, so you don't really need to cut your power cord and wire it into a timer.

I have my computer set to turn on at 8:30 every morning. I'm running vista ultimate, but I can't remember how I set it to do that, I'll check when I'm next on my computer (upstairs pc atm).
So yes, there's definitely a way to automatically start your computer.

EDIT: dammit, can't find how I did it yet. Is there any way to log what's happening?
There's no way to have it turn on with software from a completely off stage. You're probably turning it on from hibernation or standby mode, which appears to be completely off, but not quite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom