The Summer Project Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

gurusan

Golden Master
So as most of you know quite a few of us are doing summer work to our puters. Well, mine is still in the idea stage and I'll share some of it.

Feel free to post your own work and FEEDBACK is encouraged, but PLEASE KEEP COMMENTS POSITIVE AND CONSTRUCTIVE.

=============================================

So as much as I love the P182, it's very cramped for watercooling...so I'm going to build my own case. It will be a MM-style cube case, but want to keep it relatively simple and not too flashy.

-The mobo tray is from a Lian Li PC-60, and it's a two story case... wc bits + hdd rack + psu in bottom, puter up top.

The bottom is constructed of black plexiglass... the top from a dark tint plexiglass, the black front part of the top will actually be painted on the inside so that you will only be able to see around the mobo, and of course it will be lit on the inside with UV cathodes.

Obviously the two halves fit on top of eachother (stack), but google sketchup was being gay and was crashing everytime I selected a ton of components at once. No idea why, certainly not my PC as i have a quad and 4gb ram.

This is just initial brainstorming...want to think it out a bit before I actually start cutting the plexiglass.

===================================

Anyway, on to the pics.:

view3ie3.jpg
view2ey1.jpg

view1gu8.jpg

Sounds sweet. Since you're going with watercooling, all of your heat will be in the bottom section. I am guessing you are basically going to make the bottom a flat wind tunnel of sorts? That would be my thought, anyway.

If you put the HDDs flat along the bottom with a little clearance for cooling, you could get a good breeze through the box. I am figuring your rad will be mounted on the rear wall beside the PSU so it will exhaust to the exterior.

Since the top will house the mobo minus the CPU and GPU heat (for the most part), air will be plenty to cool the other components. You might want to mod the rear of the top and make it two 120 exhaust so as to pull the air directly across the chipsets and RAM.

Sounds sweet. Since you're going with watercooling, all of your heat will be in the bottom section. I am guessing you are basically going to make the bottom a flat wind tunnel of sorts? That would be my thought, anyway.

Yeah a sort of wind tunnel is the idea...and yeah I have been wondering whether or not to actually put just a grill in the front and have the fans at the back sucking the air out.

I don't want to lay the drives flat as I want them getting good cooling and a little turbulence around them will help.

Not sure what you mean by my rad being mounted on the rear...maybe you didn't see it it's the 120.3 right there at the front....the idea is the 2 fans at the back will help exhaust as well as the 140mm fan from the psu.

thanks for the feedback

Here's another pic to clarify that the rad is in the front there, like I said I was considering not having any fans in the front and just having the whole bottom half under vacuum from the exhaust fans. The jury is still out on that one.

moz-screenshot.jpg
65658194hg1.jpg

looks good. Any particular reason why your choosing plexi?

Edit: are you going to put 3 intake fans in front of the rad?

Yep, I missed the rad. My bad.

I have read that standing HDD on their side is actually better for them, so go for it. You ought to have plenty of room to do whatever you want. You could even run two separate cooling loops if you so chose. ;)

looks good. Any particular reason why your choosing plexi?

Edit: are you going to put 3 intake fans in front of the rad?

I'm using plexi because it's so easy to work with, and because I don't have a garage for better tools and to make a mess in (derned UK with no garages).

And I'm still unsure of where to put the fans

Yep, I missed the rad. My bad.

I have read that standing HDD on their side is actually better for them, so go for it. You ought to have plenty of room to do whatever you want. You could even run two separate cooling loops if you so chose. ;)

ah true I could mount them on their sides.......might consider that actually thanks, would block less of the airflow compared to their current position too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom