questions, ( moeny in tech or just another low paid job?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadoweve

Solid State Member
im really getting into tech, from rebuilding computers, to rebuilding ipods routers, an tons more..
i love tech, an honestly i want to build even better products then ipod an other overrated proucts.
honestly im sure everyone can vouch that ipod can be tetun times better an cost about the same as they normaly charged.

what im worried about when i go to ITTECH is that my future will be ill funded,
i am looking toward 70 to 85Gs a year, but sadly everyone i ask in person says ill end up working for best buy or Frys for the rest of my life.....

anyone have input?

Some here have attended ITT. Other have attended other technical schools. Others have attended regular college. And others have never entered formal secondary school.

ITT is a good school. Employers know what they are getting from an ITT grad. A degree from any accredited college can say a lot... if nothing else that you were willing to put forth the effort and time to earn it. I'm sure some others who have ventured down that path will chime in.

I am currently working on my BA in Information Technologies with a specialty in information systems security online through the University of Phoenix. It is definitely not a diploma mill and has really challenged me at points. ITT would be much more focused on the IT side, but my job benefits wouldn't cover tuition through ITT.

ITT Tech is a decent school. While your aspirations of 80k a year will come more with time and experience then an actual degree. But with a degree from ITT or any other accredided school, you will work your way up MUCH faster and probably start off much higher than if you just started out working.

I look at it this way, you really should try to get a degree of some sort, then once you have your foot in the door somewhere with that degree work on certifications. I've found in the 'real world' (i hate using that term) having a degree definately helps you, and will raise your pay grade a few notches at first. But only with experience and certifications (really anything Microsoft, MCSE, MCTS, etc) will REALLY help you out once you have that degree.

Don't listen to your friends/family saying you'll work at burger world w/ a tech education - do what you feel will best suit you, and what will help you accomplish your aspirations and dreams.

Just realize you won't make 80k w/ any degree unless you are going into engineering or law, w/ something for ITT Tech or any other BA or BS you will probably be around 50k (depending on the area and job), then with experience and certifications you could be in that 80 range.

Right out of school, you wont be making 70+ a year, i can almost guarantee that. You'll need to start getting a lot of certs and job hop to get that kind of money. But with the economy where its at right now, thats not really advisable. I'm only making 38k right now but its a government job with tons of benefits and i have close to 5 years experience in the industry and my BS in MIS. Working towards my Cisco cert.

im really getting into tech, from rebuilding computers, to rebuilding ipods routers, an tons more..
i love tech, an honestly i want to build even better products then ipod an other overrated proucts.
honestly im sure everyone can vouch that ipod can be tetun times better an cost about the same as they normaly charged.

what im worried about when i go to ITTECH is that my future will be ill funded,
i am looking toward 70 to 85Gs a year, but sadly everyone i ask in person says ill end up working for best buy or Frys for the rest of my life.....

anyone have input?

The great thing about working in the IT industry is that the only glass ceiling that really exists is the one you place over yourself. It does require a lot of time, study, and effort, but you can "easily" reach your earnings goals of $70-85k.

I started out at the age of 19, with two years of college education, but no degree. I was making $10 per hour doing PC Tech work and network administration. After about six months, I got a job with a salary of $18,000 - which was actually less than the $10 per hour. Within six months I got another job making $26,500. Eight months later I was making $36,000. Eight months later I went back to the company I where I was making $18,000 at a salary of $48,000.

Now ... the caveat here is that during that two and a half year period I completed my MCSE certification - this was back in 1997. After a year with that company, I got a job making $65,000, which lasted me about six months, after which I took another position ... long story short, I haven't earned less than six figures since 1999, and I have made as much as $170k in the intervening years. I started in 1995, and I was making six figures by the end of 1999.

Now granted, I did have to move around a lot, and the highest amount of money I made was as a consultant/subcontractor putting in LOTS of hours. And lots of certifications, and lots of experience with high-profile clients and projects ... so my path is not going to work for everyone. Another thing to consider is the amount of work you're going to put in. If you are going to advance in the IT field, you are going to be working some very long hours. I've consistently put in 100 hour weeks with some companies - the higher your hourly rate as a consultant/salary is, the higher the expectations are going to be, and the more you will have to work. And also the region that will be working in has a lot to do with compensation. I've done all of my work in DC/Dulles Corridor, or Irvine (Orange County) CA. Obviously you aren't going to be able to command rates as high in Tulsa, OK.

Now I'm 32, and I'm looking at starting a family soon, so I recently took a permanent position with a company that requires less of my time. More of a "normal" workweek, but it still isn't 9-5. Maybe 50-60 hours per with, with travel up to 25% of the time as I get acclimated to the environment. I have 13 years of experience, and I'm making six figures.

All you have to do is dedicate yourself to technology and forsake your social life, and you can easily make $200-300k a year as an information technology consultant after about 5-10 years.

The great thing about working in the IT industry is that the only glass ceiling that really exists is the one you place over yourself. It does require a lot of time, study, and effort, but you can "easily" reach your earnings goals of $70-85k.

I started out at the age of 19, with two years of college education, but no degree. I was making $10 per hour doing PC Tech work and network administration. After about six months, I got a job with a salary of $18,000 - which was actually less than the $10 per hour. Within six months I got another job making $26,500. Eight months later I was making $36,000. Eight months later I went back to the company I where I was making $18,000 at a salary of $48,000.

Now ... the caveat here is that during that two and a half year period I completed my MCSE certification - this was back in 1997. After a year with that company, I got a job making $65,000, which lasted me about six months, after which I took another position ... long story short, I haven't earned less than six figures since 1999, and I have made as much as $170k in the intervening years. I started in 1995, and I was making six figures by the end of 1999.

Now granted, I did have to move around a lot, and the highest amount of money I made was as a consultant/subcontractor putting in LOTS of hours. And lots of certifications, and lots of experience with high-profile clients and projects ... so my path is not going to work for everyone. Another thing to consider is the amount of work you're going to put in. If you are going to advance in the IT field, you are going to be working some very long hours. I've consistently put in 100 hour weeks with some companies - the higher your hourly rate as a consultant/salary is, the higher the expectations are going to be, and the more you will have to work. And also the region that will be working in has a lot to do with compensation. I've done all of my work in DC/Dulles Corridor, or Irvine (Orange County) CA. Obviously you aren't going to be able to command rates as high in Tulsa, OK.

Now I'm 32, and I'm looking at starting a family soon, so I recently took a permanent position with a company that requires less of my time. More of a "normal" workweek, but it still isn't 9-5. Maybe 50-60 hours per with, with travel up to 25% of the time as I get acclimated to the environment. I have 13 years of experience, and I'm making six figures.

All you have to do is dedicate yourself to technology and forsake your social life, and you can easily make $200-300k a year as an information technology consultant after about 5-10 years.
Are you guys hiring :p

Here's my history:

I built my first computer in 2000, didn't really know what I was doing, went to a few lan parties, but managed to keep that computer running the whole time. In High School, we had a Cisco class that basically went through the training for a CCNA. I never got my cert. Then I spent 5 years at a community college going for a programming degree(because there wasn't one for networking at the time), I quickly found out I hated that, spent time abroad, started a business degree... never graduated.

In 2004, I got a job from my friend doing IT work and building temporary networks for an RV sales lot. It was part time at best, paid 11/hour and got me a good amount of paid experience figuring out random problems of things. During that time, I was the computer guy of my family/friends and was constantly helping people fix their computers. I also had a photography job which involved large amounts of photoshop.

Last year, I got tired of doing what I was doing, quit school, moved away from home, wasted a lot of time and finally got my act together to get a job making 32k doing helpdesk work. It was tough to find, but sometimes it just takes finding that one place that will give you a chance... Especially without degrees and certifications. As far as what I'm doing here... I've been here almost 4 months. I know it's a career starter, but I don't plan on staying here for a really long time. I want to get some good experience under my belt, get some certifications, and keep moving up.

I think the demand for IT has laxed a bit with people so worried about the economy, but it's one of the few areas that is still hiring. What I've found out is that it's all about using all the little skills you know in the right situations. Impress the right people, get a project to do, and there's a great addition for a resume.

After I get my CCNA I can get a job for 55-60K a year. However, to earn over the six-firgure mark all the jobs I can find require a minimum of 5 years experience. So, while the cert is important, experience is even more so.

I always knew that I was going to college after high school. It was just sort of something that had to happen even though both of my parents are immigrants from Mexico and my grand parents have an education only to 6th grade. I started as a Computer Science major back when the industry really wanted tons of people, but now, the economy has taken a huge impact on fields all across the board.

I have a degree now in Microelectronic Engineering and am working in Phoenix finishing up an internship before I start working full time and am earning 40K plus my living expenses are all paid for. When I finish this position, I will be earning closer to 80K as a full time engineer, but the big problem is that I have TONS of student loans. I owe close to 80K just for school and have to pay it off starting Christmas of next year. With the shape of the economy, jobs aren't certain and I know many people who have higher level degrees such as PhD students not able to find jobs. I got lucky in that I've been working with this company for 6 months already and they know how well I work.

My advice would be to go after what you want. I changed my major after really hating Computer Science and found something that I really love to do now. I work in semiconductors and am responsible for writing lines and spaces 45 nm wide. I do owe a lot of money because I changed my major and added 2 years more of college, but in the long run, I'm happy with where I am at and I think that is the most important thing to consider.

... what im worried about when i go to ITTECH is that my future will be ill funded, i am looking toward 70 to 85Gs a year, but sadly everyone i ask in person says ill end up working for best buy or Frys for the rest of my life..... anyone have input?
In my experience ITT Tech (ITT Technical Institute), or any other similar school is a waste of money... but not time. You will get a good education at the time, but it is easy to spend way to much money for something that won't last you all that long.

You would be FAR better going to college and getting an IT degree, but making the right choice there can be tricky too.

Be careful how you choose. Don't choose an industry (like manufacturing) that will dry up here in the states and be outsourced overseas! Being a hands on hardware or network guy is fairly bulletproof in that respect, as they can't very easily ship that to China or India... but things like web development and programming are really easy to ship out. Like I said... choose carefully.

If you are not real sure about a college choice, or don't want to put in the time (and $) for a full college degree, then my advice is to attend a local state community college, etc. Avoid the private Tech schools (like ITT). All you need is the AAS or BAS degree to get in the door... your REAL education in your field will be when you start to work.

Try not to job hop too fast, it won't look good on your resume... but you will need to job hop some in the beginning to move up the pay scale quickly.

To start, you could just go to a local state tech school to get a few certifications (such as A+ through CompTIA)... that way you could get a better job faster to start. As you add certs you will be able to improve... both in pay and in job standing. As you get a clearer view of the industry trends, combined with the development of your interests and talents, then you could go back for that college degree... chances are, however, that by the time you get to that point you won't need the college degree... either that or your employer will pay for it.

You could end up at Fry's or Best Buy for the rest of your life, but it does not have to be that way. Popular job markets (that places like ITT cater to) can be really tough though... mainly because these schools suck people in with glitzy advertising, then flood the market with job applicants. These schools stay fat, and 3/4 or more of their students end up at Fry's and Best Buy, etc.

Get a few certs, find a niche for now, but be prepared to keep your career mobile. Putting all your eggs in one basket these days is pretty much a kiss of death career wise... IMHO.

There have been some excellent posts in this thread... pay attention to them.

bud

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom