how hot is too hot for a laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TehScud

Solid State Member
i have a dell inspiron 1520 and i like to leave a game running on it for hours at a time and according to 18kfangui my laptop is 150+ degrees right now and sometimes it gets as high as 163 degrees fahrenheit. so my question, how hot is too hot? is my laptop in any danger? i certainly dont want it to blow up :eek:

Hello,

Yes that is way to hot. Consider getting a cooling pad for your laptop.

Cheers,
Mak

You need to keep the heatsink fins clean at all times. Shoot some canned air through the vents often. Any dirt build up will restrict the cooling fan(s) air flow causing high temps.

150F =/= 150C... My laptop runs around 80C (GPU) and 60-70C (CPU) even on my cooling pad with desktop fans blowing into it. 100C = 212F (boiling point of water) and without the cooling fans (even with the pad) my GPU can reach 90-95 C. I would definitely get a cooling pad, but even more I'd recommend just getting some used case fans out of broken desktops or power supplies and putting those behind your laptop (seems to work very well for me, I have 3 80mm fans taped together running at 12V, blows a strong amount of air and keeps my laptop 10 degrees C lower than just with the pad.

FYI:

80 degrees C (my GPU's temp with all cooling in place during a game) = 176 degrees F
70 degrees C (my CPU's temp with just cooling pad while running F@H) = 158 degrees F
60 degrees C (my CPU's temp with cooling pad and desktop fans when stressed) = 140 degrees F

I have a dv9700t with Core 2 Duo T9300 and nVidia 8600M GS.

when my game is minimized it stays at around 110-125 degrees, plus i have a 20in.X20in. fan cooling it so i guess that helps...

honestly laptop cooling pads are a corperate draw to making easy mark up.
not only that but they brake within months depending on use.
mine lasted about 2 months before the fans broke. (sadly i did buy it from best buy so that may have been the reson.)
but all in all, i take my cover off the bottom of the laptop, an sit up on two books, from there let a fan run wind under it, an not that it really needs it i do it still.

so best bet use your head, an save some cash...
at least in my opinion

honestly laptop cooling pads are a corperate draw to making easy mark up.
not only that but they brake within months depending on use.
mine lasted about 2 months before the fans broke. (sadly i did buy it from best buy so that may have been the reson.)
but all in all, i take my cover off the bottom of the laptop, an sit up on two books, from there let a fan run wind under it, an not that it really needs it i do it still.

so best bet use your head, an save some cash...
at least in my opinion

wow and i thought i was the only one in the world to do that, i have my laptop sitting on 2 books too, i thought i was a genius haha...except that the fan is blowing from the right side and not from behind. and i dont take the cover off my laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom