new pc for gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.
Overclocking is required by law :)

I actually overclocked my last cpu while lowering voltage so the temps actually went down a tiny bit. Then I put a better cooler on and it ran cooler than stock. You only have to worry about temps when you start putting a lot of voltage in which isn't needed if you don't try for super high clocks.

My room gets very hot and I've always overclocked. 3ghz should be easy with a q6600 even with high ambient temps.

I dont think i have enough money for all this stuff guys!!! :)

I still run XP Pro, will this effect me?

Performance wise right now a faster clocked Dual-Core would beat 4 cores in most games except UT3 and Crysis

However more and more games are Quad Intensive.. and the few FPS lost now because of Quads instead of duals, will become a lot more when games are quad-intensive

So get a Quad-Core Q6600

For Boards: that depends on what you want on it... like features like two Video Cards and RAID etc

Heres what I recommend:

Q6600
Biostar P45
HD 4850
Corsair 650tx (I recommended the 650tx in case you wanted to add another HD 4850 in the Future)
4gb DDR2 Patriot Viper
Rosewill RCX-Z775 Black Cooler or the Xigmatek Rifle 120mm if you have the extra budget room with the retention bracket
HD of your Liking based on how much size you want
Case of your choice
Optical Drive of your Choice

which Xigmatek Rifle 120mm? do i need to buy a liquid heat compoud, or use the one that comes with the heatsink/fan?

You won't be able to use all the ram if running xp pro. you would end up with about 3.5gb. To use all the ram you need 64bit. There is 64bit xp but I would just get Vista if the extra ram is important.

You won't be able to use all the ram if running xp pro. you would end up with about 3.5gb. To use all the ram you need 64bit. There is 64bit xp but I would just get Vista if the extra ram is important.

vista? =( you can run 32-bit programs on vista?

Stick with XP pro, I still use it, there is no way im going to vista, so XP pro is fine.

Don't worry about crossfire as you sound like you won't need it, just get the one 4850 video card and you will be fine to play most games on it.

Only get 2GB of RAM, that is all you will need for XP pro 32-bit.

You can go quad core if you want, core duo cpu's are much cheaper and will be leaps and bounds above the CPU you have at the moment. I suggest just getting a core duo cpu

as long as it runs at the same speed i guess i wont miss the 512mb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom