P4 heating up

Status
Not open for further replies.

regeisle

In Runtime
Just got a heat warning today from Intel Active Monitor... got up to 60'C or so. Just want to make sure nothings up....

P4 2.8 Northwood 800 FSB
Stock HS/Fan
Fans: 1 front, 2 rear and 1 side mounted VGA fan (came on case).

I'm not overclocking at all. Average temps are around 40'C. I know this is safe zone, but seems a little high given no OC'ing, and under NO workload. Is this just normal, given my setup mentioned above, or should I do some detective work to see why things are warmin up?

mines overclocked and at no load i stay at around 33-36. with no ocing i dont think you should be going that high something and it definitely shouldnt be getting up over 60. check and make sure you have a nice thin layer of thermal grease between your heat sink and cpu and all your fans are working and all your cables are neat and not blocking the airflow. if its all good and still reads that high try upping your cooling system.

If it keeps it up, i'd slap some more thermal grease on that bad boy. :)

ya 50% load and 60 c... damn that hot, get some arctic silver and put a thin layer on it. And man thats hot for a northwood. Prescotts run hotter.

The 2.8 is a Prescott. The Northwoods stop at 2.6. I'd try lapping the heat sink and applying some good silver thermal compound. I did that to mine and now it idles at 93F to 95F. It gets up to about 115F to 120F when gaming. The Prescott core runs hotter because of the strained silicon used in it manufacture and It has more processing power but the same size die as the Northwoods cores. All this combines to make it a hotter running chip. 40 at idle isn't bad. You can go into the setting on the activity monitor and up the thermal alarm.

northwoods go way past 2.6...
northwood is p4c, my cous go a 3 ghz p4c...
northys go to 3.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom