Moving OS From 1 OS to Another

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroShade

In Runtime
I have my operating system on a master ide drive with an accessible slave ide and accessible sata drive. I have backed up my os to the slave ide, but now i want to restore it on the sata. I have the recovery and backup procedures figured out but I'm more concerned about how to make sure that the sata becomes the bootable device and the other two ide's become slave to it. Is it done automatically or do I have to change something in the bios?

Set the boot priority to the SATA drive in the BIOS after you've copied the data to it.

Ok... vista reads the drive now... but when I go to install ultimate on the sata drive it doesn't show up so I'm assuming I need drivers... but if I click browse... my drive is there? I don't understand why vista installer won't see the sata drive?

Hello,

Do you have your BIOS Set to read teh SATA Drive as ACHI or IDE? Have you updated your BIOS? Most of the time when Vista can not read the drive like that you need to update your BIOS to the current version.

Cheers,
Mak

Hmm... I looked for updates but it says its already updated. I don't see an option for achi either... I did get more info though... out of 6 sata ports... does it matter which one its in? My board is the nforce 680i lt sli.

It will only matter when you have to have one turned on. Since they all should not be on and workign at the same time.

Cheers,
Mak

I had finally got the drive working. Vista goes to install on the drive now. I went and installed Linux and when it said there was no partition table I realized that might of been why vista wasn't seeing anything. But now if I take out all the drives but my sata... go to install vista ultimate on it... reboots after the installation has finished from the disk... goes to boot for the first time and just as the loader finishes the computer restarts. Its happened about 6 times so far tonight trying different ways to get it installed. Any ideas?

Hello,

What are your system specs. If you are trying to load Vista with 4GB of RAM it wont work. This is a known bug. You would need a Vista disc with SP1 to do so. You will have to remove some RAM to isntall Vista.

Cheers,
Mak

Oh Man!! I remember this now. I've come across this problem before. Thats exactly what it is. I wonder if you helped me a while back on that same issue as well?

Hello,

Most likely. I come across this issue many times a day. I should make a canned speech about it really. :p

But glad it was somethign as simple as that to remedy.

Cheers,
Mak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom